AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert map3d 2014 to Shape file

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
archaeoman
507 Views, 4 Replies

Convert map3d 2014 to Shape file

Dear All,

I am in need of your help. I have a MAP3D 2014 CAD drawing with many layers (3d polylines and points) that have object data attached. The Coordinate system attached to the drawing is British National Grid (projected coordinate system) and the units are unitkless.

All is well with the drawing. However, when I export some or all of the layers with their attached attributes into shp files I am in trouble.

When I import them into ArcGIS 10.2 I receive "Warning, Incosistent extent!

Do you guys have a solution of what might be wrong? So far I have discovered that although the shp files derived from MAP3D 2014 have a projected coordinate system (British National Grid) while ArcGIS uses a geographic coordinate system...

I hope you can help

Cheers

Archaeoman

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
antoniovinci
in reply to: archaeoman

Please copy and paste here the .PRJ file content, sir.

Message 3 of 5
archaeoman

Thank youfor your reply.

Here is the .prj file

Message 4 of 5
antoniovinci

Before _MAPEXPORTing to shapefile, perform a zoom extents: does the whole map appear?

1] if so, try to export only a subset, not everything, and check how Arcgis behaves

2] if not, erase all the rubbish far away from the main map, again zoom extents until you are in the point #1 state

Message 5 of 5
cedwards8511

Have you tried to load the drawing into ArcGIS?  I tend to skip the exporting step and just add the dwg into may ArcMap, this way I can keep the drawing updated and it will automatically be updated in ArcMap.  The only downside is that you have to save your drawing back to a previous dwg format if you don't have 10.2 yet (i.e. save back to AutoCAD 2010 format for ArcGIS 10.0.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost