AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Map Labels to Text

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
rhdins
1647 Views, 7 Replies

Convert Map Labels to Text

How do I convert map labels to text?  I know I've done it before but I can't seem to figure it out right at the moment.

Specifically, I've got a parcel shapefile labeled with the owner name, and I want to convert that to text to be able to move the labels around and edit some of them.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: rhdins

Import shp. and make sure that you bring the object data you need as well (click Data, then create object data and select the required fields). Save the dwg. Then attach the drawing, and = select draw,alter properties, text, expression: select the O.D. you want  Hope it helped, it's much more simple than it looks 

Colin

Tags (2)
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

This sentence doesn't make any sense to me: "Then attach the drawing, and = select draw,alter properties, text, expression: select the O.D. you want". Can you clarify, step by step. Thanks

Message 4 of 8
antoniovinci
in reply to: Anonymous

jksville wrote:

Can you clarify

Waiting for this clarification, what about pressing the F1 key, and learn ALL about the _ADEDRAWINGS command..? 

Message 5 of 8
Gary_Braun
in reply to: rhdins

Hmmm, you're a little thin on the details, but I'll take a stab at it anyway.

Disclaimer: You will need to be running Map 2012.

You haven't said what you've done with the shapefile up to now, but if you connect it as an FDO feature dataset and style it to display the labels correctly, then on the Annotate menu you will have a "Label to Text" icon that will turn those labels into either Mtext or a new FDO text layer, your choice but they'll probably both work for you.

Message 6 of 8
antoniovinci
in reply to: Gary_Braun

Gary_Braun wrote:

You will need to be running Map 2012.

Are you serious, sir?

In my old Map2006 I have at least 2 ways to convert labels as editable texts: the easiest one is by the _ADEDRAWINGS technique.

Message 7 of 8
Gary_Braun
in reply to: antoniovinci

One of the things I really like about Map3D is that there are nearly almost more ways than one to get a job done, although often with slightly different end results. My disclaimer was based on following the method I outlined, which I'm fairly sure requires Map 2012, although I no longer have any earlier versions installed to check that fact so I could be wrong. Anyway, can you do it following the methodology I outlined with your 2006 installation Antonio?

Message 8 of 8
antoniovinci
in reply to: Gary_Braun

Nope, Gary, 'cause FDO is supported since release 2007...

I was thinking that you argued the mandatory need of Map2012 to solve the topic problem...
Have a good night, sir. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report