AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Data labels to Mtext function not working 2014

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
annw2
1678 Views, 18 Replies

Convert Data labels to Mtext function not working 2014

I brought in the the shape file with soil data using the FDO connection and got the soil labels to show up.

I selected one to get the convert label to Mtext function to appear in the tool bar, but then it essentially locked up.  I could escape out but that was it.  I couldn't select anything.

One label converted with the wrong label font and I couldn't get the font to edit.

I gave up and added them manually by copying text and editing.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: annw2

Hi,

have you tried command MAPLABEL2ANN (>>>details<<<)? Worth to try to convert FDO labels to MTEXT objects.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 19
annw2
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

But that is the command that I am having trouble with.  It locks up before I can select anything.  The help function is not clear on exactly WHAT to select either.

I try to select SOMETHING and all I get is the arrow cursor which doesn't seem to want to select anything.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 4 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> But that is the command that I am having trouble with.  It locks up before I can select anything

I guess we speak from different commands or different versions of Map 3D. Wich version (and servicepack) of Map 3D do you have? I work with the current release 2015 64bit on Windows 8.1.

When I start the command I get the dialog, within the dialog I have these choices for selection methods

• all labels from a fdo layer
  • all labels within the current view.

There is no option to select objects manually available (for me).

2015-01-17 21-43-41.png

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 5 of 19
braudpat

Hello

+1 with Alfred

But when I get some Texts/MTexts coming from ...

Very often I am using a nice routine from Gilles (gile) which draws a colored rectangle around any Text/MText (Command: CT) or draws a colored mask around any Text/Mtext (Command: MT) ...

After launching CT or MT (at the question "Select Objects") please don't hesitate to use Right Click to change options !?

Thanks to Gilles ...

Happy New Year and THE HEALTH !

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: braudpat

Hi Everyone,

I have been using the same idea but i come from Civil 3d 2015 and 2013  Back ground. but i been using the MapannTemplate to get to the same point you guys are at. I will import my Gis Data to the Drawing. Then i will use the command Mapnntemplate, then Grab the Object Data With the Mapanntext Command, Close My Block and Type Mapanninsert,

Then comes my issues i have to insert My Object Data on top of a Aerial and Background masking is needed. one it sounds like i am going about it the wrong way unless the lsp list above works. i can't try it out   until i get to work monday. 

So all i have to do for the lsp is type in CT,? i am assuming after i rotate my block text to plan readable  i explode my block into a text?  

Or do i need to recreate my object data from the FDO command?

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous

Alfred,

Does this command "MapLabel2anno(sp)" work within the Mapanntemplate?

The more i read and realize i have may have went about creating Creating Mapanntext the wrong Way?!?

I would Type Mapanntemplate------>Mapanntext----->Grab my associated Object Data----------->Close out the template------> Mapanninsert---------> create my blocks------->Rotate to be plan readable-------->Burst att to text--------->txt2mtxt---------> background mask yes (but this only works if the block is simple if its complex with (such as below) it becomes a cluster and a nightmare to deal with.

(Before bursting)

Wetlandid

Sometext1 sometext2 sometext3

Sometext4 sometext5 somettext6

Somestreamid  

(After Bursting)

Somestreamid

Sometext6 sometext2 sometext4

Wetlandid sometext5

Thanks 

Larry Sands

Message 8 of 19
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> Does this command "MapLabel2anno(sp)" work within the Mapanntemplate?

No, this command converts labels created by FDO technology (data referenced by MAPCONNECT).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous

Would I be able to manipulate the object data from map connect to read

Wetlandid
Sometext1 sometext2 sometext3
Sometext4

Sounds like I could convert the text with map2anno with this fdo command? And have a background mask
Message 10 of 19
annw2

I am running 'Map' under Civil 3d 2014.  I was using the feature by clicking one of the map labels to get the revised ribbon to pop up.  I don't remember the dialog box you show coming up at all.  I will try typing the command from the keyboard next time and see if that gives better results.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 11 of 19
annw2

I am running 'Map' under Civil 3d 2014.  I was using the feature by clicking one of the map labels to get the revised ribbon to pop up.  I don't remember the dialog box you show coming up at all.  I will try typing the command from the keyboard next time and see if that gives better results.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 12 of 19
annw2

That looks about like what I have been doing with parcel information.

I stumble around and create a concatiated label with multiple data fields and text under the FDO - style - label function. 

Then stumble around and convert it to Mtext for production plans.  I can't always get it to work properly.  I have done this one or two times about 6 months apart and keep forgetting how I managed to do it the last time.

The FDO labels have very limited use for production plans.  They seem designed more for 'pretty pictures' for reports.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous

i think i found the commands from Mastering CAD 2013 so i typed them in and used the help button after that but i will look for the Ribbon within Civil 3d 2015 to see what pops up

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous

i think using the FDO and dbconnect command is the long way around to get the labels out of ATT. gis lines.

FDO creates alot more steps to the process of getting Data out of GIS. i guess it would be worth the time if it could be used in production like rotating Background masking and etc, but i have just ended up exploding the att to text using mtxt. which i think defeats the whole idea of having a database drive att.... then again my knowledge of the process is very limited

Message 15 of 19
annw2

Yes, but soil types, property parcel information, and contour elevation, ususally don't change during the course of a design project.

I also would need to learn a LOT more about Map in order for the other functions to be useful to me and we have a whole GIS department here at my new firm.  We usually just call them up and ask for a CAD block.

They keep all the GIS data 'live' for the main project alignment determination.  

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

true, but we keep getting updated shp file from a 3rd party vendors (enivormental groups, and Updated Parcel information) on a weekly bases. plus our current projects alignment keeps adjusting so information keeps getting moved and updated on a daily bases. plus our sheets has a aerial back drop so either i need to make bold text or mask it.  

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

Ok I just tried to use dbconnect a shp file and it did not work

Sent from my iPhone
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

alright i got the dbconnect to work with my shp.file and basically i ended up in the same spot using maplabel2anno. dbconnect seems to add a couple more steps to this process. i was thinking maplabel2anno was going to have some secert command like that of text or mtext (BACKGROUND MASK) but i guess not.

Message 19 of 19
peter.chaplinW6HWW

I understand your pain,

I am looking for the same thing, two Attributes in the one label then burst to Mtext

in MAPANNTEMPLATE select the text and on the properties panel change multiple lines to yes (Do this for each label)

Burst labels will now be individual Mtext in your case 5 separate entities

Select similar and add Mask.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report