AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to SQL Server 2008 in Map3d 2009

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
dvmorris
685 Views, 22 Replies

Connecting to SQL Server 2008 in Map3d 2009

I am trying to connect to a local instance of SQL Server 2008, and I can't seem to figure out what "service name" is actually referring to in the connect dialog in Map3d 2009.

Is this the IP address? should i use "localhost"? Should I use the name of the windows service (MSSQLSERVER)? There is no documentation that I can find anywhere that says what this actually means, and I can't seem to find anyone on the internet who has actually gotten this to work. I saw a video on channel9.msdn.com where the Autodesk guy did it, but the screen was so blurry I couldn't tell what he was typing in.

Also, does this allow me to use Windows Authentication to connect? Or do I have to create a SQLServer user account? The documentation seems to be specific to ORACLE, and generic for everything else. It's extremely confusing, fyi for any Autodesk technical writers reading this. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to connecting to databases etc... and I am completely stuck.

Anyways, I'm desperate now, this thing is driving me crazy. Also, the bulk copy command doesn't seem to work on sql server. I was able to connect to the SQL Server instance by creating a system DSN and using the ODBC driver, but it doesn't seem to recognize my geography data in my database. It only recognizes a table where I have a field called latitude and one called longitude.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a Windows Server 2003 box with SQL Server 2008, Visual Studio 2008, Autodesk Map 3d 2009 with sp1, etc...
22 REPLIES 22
Message 21 of 23
JJuniewich
in reply to: dvmorris

Take a look at the attached jpg. The schemas was created within Map 09 and Bulk Copy was used to populate it. Note the geometry column it the table view.
Message 22 of 23
chrisgountanis

Thanks for the screen shot and not for the actual step by step help. Why would you create a database for every layer? You normally want to create one database (data store) per data set. Every layer then will have it's own table within the singe database. Much more managable. Is that another work around? Bulk copy usually creates the schemas for you but you mentioned creating the schema. Is that also another work around?

As far as the issue we are having I heard from someone internal that the FDO for SQL Server will be released for us in the fall. There are updated DLL files for internal testing only. So if your getting stressed with work arounds just wait till then.
Message 23 of 23
JJuniewich

The schema name is Texas (data store), within the texas schema, Bulk Copy creates feature classes (spatial tables). All this is done within Map after you make a successful connection.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost