AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Industry Model to Existing Database

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Rob
Explorer
505 Views, 6 Replies

Connecting Industry Model to Existing Database

Hi,

We have an existing SQL Server database that we want our Enterprise Industry Model to draw from for specific data. It appears that the Infrastructure Administrator where you set up Enterprise Projects wants to create a whole new database and we cannot have separate databases. How do you bring in an existing database for use as an Industry Model?

Thanks,

Rob

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
hence_the_name
in reply to: Rob

Hi Rob,

I'm not familiar with SQLServer. I only know how it works for Oracle as database.

Example

You have got an industry data model (this is an Oracle user and might be the equivalent to SQLServer's "database"?), let's say "water".

You have got location of trees in a separate Oracle user but the Oracle user is not an Map-industry model.

Option1:

- create synonyms so that the "water" user can query tables from "tree" user - this is Oracle functionality

- register the synonyms (via views) in the "water" user - this is a Map requirement, can be done in Administrator

-> tree-tables (via views and synonyms) are available in "water" industry model

Option2:

- convert "tree" user into a Map industry model (can be done in Map Administrator)

- add "tree" user to Map project along with "water" user.

So in your case option 1 seems to be the solution.

Rob

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/
Message 3 of 7
Metron4
in reply to: hence_the_name

Thanks for the reply. We looked into your suggestion. When you say "user", yes, this means "database" in SQL. When you say "synonym" I believe this is equivalent of a "fully-qualified name" in SQL. So what it sounds like is you are saying Oracle let's you cross-reference between users (or databases). We cannot do this in SQL.

There must be some way to tie an industry model to an existing database. How else do companies display data on maps that is shared with other groups in the company?

Message 4 of 7
hence_the_name
in reply to: Rob

Hi,

you can of course create a display model for an industry model which references data sources outside the industry model. If your data is stored in SQLServer you can connect via FDO SQLServer, create layers as needed and integrate them into display model.

With regards to Oracle - yes, you can access and modify data coming from a different Oracle user (schema) or even in a different database.

Rob

Message 5 of 7
Metron4

Rob, I do not see the ability to reference outside data sources in the Display Model. I cannot see how to use my SQL Server FDO source with a Display Model. Are you perhaps referring to the ability to connect to an Enterprise Industry Model through an FDO connection? This is only available to Oracle databases.

Message 6 of 7
hence_the_name
in reply to: Metron4

I'm not sure if dialog boxes or functionality are identical with both Oracle and MSSQL.

I have created a display model for one of our IM which draws data coming from Oracle and WMS/WFS as well

display_model_generate_graphics.png

First I created the display model for Oracle data. Then WFS/WMS layers were added via "Data connect" and styled. Afterwards I just saved the new DM.

display_model_extern.png

As mentioned - I don't know if it works the same with SQL Server based IM. Or did I misunderstand your question? Are you working with a file based IM?

Rob

Message 7 of 7
Metron4

Rob, after researching your last post I discovered the ability to join the IM features to my other features in the Display Manager using "Create a Join". It's going to take some work and it may not be desirable to manage joins in this manner outside of the SQL Server environment but I think we may make it work.

Thanks for your help,

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost