AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected shapefile only partially visible

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
areese9779
938 Views, 11 Replies

Connected shapefile only partially visible

Hello,

I am having an issue that really has me stumped and I'm hopeful that some of you may be able to help. 

I have a shapefile containing parcel data for the local municipality that I have connected to using the data connect dialogue box.  I connected to the data the same way I always have, and all of the data was displaying correctly.  All of a sudden, wham, half of the parcels in the file won't display for me that only seconds before were just fine.  So I try disconnecting the data and reattaching, with the same result.  I have tried re-downloading the shp, and still have the same partial display.  I have started new drawings, and tried reconnecting, with still the same partial display of data.  Just for fun, I went to one of my co-workers machines and opened the exact same dwg that had the data connected but not displaying correctly on my machine, and lo and behold, it displayed it just fine on his workstation.  So back on my machine, we open the data table, and all of the parcels are listed, including the ones I can't see.  I can even select on of the parcels and zoom to it, and it is highlighted when selecting it through the table.  I can also export to dwg, and all of the parcels are included.  It is almost as if I have a filter of some sort set through my user settings, but I can't even begin to figure out how that is possible.

Has anyone come across this, or have any ideas what could be causing the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Andy

Windows XP/Dell T3400/3.x dual processor/Civil 3D 2011

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Dell Precision M4800, Windows 10 64-bit
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Murph_Map
in reply to: areese9779

Try deleting the .idx file that is in the same folder as the shp,shx,dbf for that shape file.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 12
areese9779
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph,

You are an absolute genius - that worked like a charm.  Thank you SO much for your response - I have seen quite a few solutions from you over the years and I was hoping you might have the solution for my problem as well.  Out of curiosity, what is the .idx file, and why was it only affecting me?

Thanks again!!

Andy

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Dell Precision M4800, Windows 10 64-bit
Message 4 of 12
Murph_Map

@areese9779 wrote:

Murph,

You are an absolute genius - that worked like a charm.  Thank you SO much for your response - I have seen quite a few solutions from you over the years and I was hoping you might have the solution for my problem as well.  Out of curiosity, what is the .idx file, and why was it only affecting me?

Thanks again!!

Andy

From my understanding the idx file is a SQLlite file that gets created when you connect to data files or even with the map import to speed up the display of the geometry and attributes. What I think happens is when you edit the display a few times that it gets corrupt and not updated so the application only reads part of the file and displays only what it reads.

BTW E$RI software creates an idx file as well, just that I haven't seen any issues with it over there.

Murph
Message 5 of 12
edwa8511

I have a problem with the same symptoms, but there is no .idx file associated with the shapefile.

I zoom extent and I can see all of the parcels, but as I zoom in, they start to disappear from view.

Do you have any suggestions?

Message 6 of 12
Murph_Map
in reply to: edwa8511

If you haven't set any scale threasholds in the style editor for that layer, try to update the map from the display manager and see if that helps them display. If not check the graphic settings, card, driver etc.

Murph
Message 7 of 12
edwa8511

I have no thresholds set and have tried updating the data from the Display Manager, no changes.  I have a decent graphics card, NVIDIA Quadro 4000, so I wouldn't think it was the problem.  Do you know what settings might effect this?

Message 8 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

just a few points:

• what Map3D-release do you have?
  • have you tried to switch the visual style?
  • have you tried to deactivate/activate hardware acceleration?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 9 of 12
edwa8511
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I am running Map 2012 (also with Raster Design).

I have played with the visual styles and turned hardware acceleration off/on with no changes.

Message 10 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

just one more idea that is worth to try it ==> have you seen that servicepack1 is released for Map3D2012?

>>>here<<< you can find SP + readme's

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 11 of 12
dfitzwater

I am running into a similar issue with a shapefile that contains points.  Feature IDs 1-26 are plotting on the screen fine, however Feature IDs 27-49 are not showing up.  However, when I click on the item that is not showing up in the datatable, MAP3D will zoom and highlight where the point should be.  I have not set any thematic rules and my scale range is from 0 to infinity.  The shapefile opens correctly and shows all of the the data points in the trimble desktop software.  I have updated MAP3D 2012 with the latest service pack.  Hopefully someone has run into this before and can help.   Thanks. 

Message 12 of 12
dfitzwater

This is an update to my issues with the shapefile not displaying all of the points.  I exported the shapefile layer data to a SDF format and now all of the points are visible.  Has anyone run into this before- can I trust a shapefile connection?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost