AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect to SQL Server 2008 r2 by AutoCAD Map 3D 2012

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
erictsn
1247 Views, 9 Replies

Connect to SQL Server 2008 r2 by AutoCAD Map 3D 2012

Hi All,

Is there anyone have tried to connect to SQL Server 2008 r2 by using Map 3D 2012? I can't to make it. It prompts the message "Invalid connection". I used the IP as the service name of map 3d.

Thanks.

Eric

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Murph_Map
in reply to: erictsn

I connect OK to SQL express 2008 OK, using the server name as the Service Name.

Note: The SQL Server is running on the same workstation as Map3D/Civil3d 2012 version.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 10
erictsn

Thanks Murph

Have you try to remote connect the sql server express 2008 by AutoCADMap3D?

Thanks.

Eric

Message 4 of 10
jackie.ng

You should check if SQL Server has been configured to allow remote connections.

I believe by default this is not the case.

- Jackie

Message 5 of 10
lbryant

Do you know of a FDO provider for or through SQL Server Express?

The SQL Server Express connection works for me ArcGIS 10, but is not available to me within Civil 3d (FDO).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I am running Civil 3d 2012, 64bit, Win7, 8GB.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 10
matTech
in reply to: lbryant

SQL Express should work with Civil 3D 2012. I just tried it for my first time the other day and it was pretty easy. Just use SQL Server connection. FDO actually works better than any of the options I've used with ArcMap. Pretty impressive actually.

The company I work for has SQL Server 2008. I want to connect to it but they won't let me. I set up a SQL Express at home and it's working fine. However, I want to connect to my server at home from work. Has anyone here remotely connected to SQL Express? It's super easy with Postgres but that's not what my company is using. I'm trying to prove a point with IT because they don't think I can connect to spatial data on SQL Server.

Message 7 of 10
tjmapper
in reply to: matTech

My whole GIS is stored in SQL 2008..... Would be pretty lame with no spatial data. Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 10
matTech

Do you use ODBC FDO connections to connect to non-spatial tables? I haven't messed with that too much but I did notice that they are grayed out when connecting to the spatial ones. I would like to perform a join of a spatial table and normal table that are stored within SQL Server. I'll probably try it out tonight ODBC.

Message 9 of 10
tjmapper
in reply to: matTech

Unfortunately, doing a join in AutoCAD is a slow go so I try to keep everything on the SQL Server. The biggest pain is  the way the tables get setup when creating them on a SQL Spatial Server you cannot look at  SQL Views spatially.

Why would you not just the SQL Server connection instead of ODBC? It is what I use because ODBC on 64bit seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

Message 10 of 10
matTech

The SQL connection doesn't have Window Authentication. I had to set up SQL for Database Authentication. It worked fine after that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost