AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect to regular SQL Server Connection (not Spatial)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Metron4
3124 Views, 7 Replies

Connect to regular SQL Server Connection (not Spatial)

Hello,

We have a SQL Server instance that I connect to over our network. I can access it when I log into SQL Server Management Studio. In AutoCAD Map 3D 2014 I do not have the option to "Add SQL Server Connection". I tried using the SQL Server Spatial connection but the database does not have spatial data. I only see a list of tables but they cannot be added as feature classes and display the message "The feature class doesn't exist" when I click on a table. I also don't have the SQL ServerProvider.dll in the FDO folder. I tried copying the .dll from version 2012 but it didn't work.

How do I connect to my non-spatial data in SQL Server? Is this a permissions issue?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Gary_Braun
in reply to: Metron4

You can connect to SQL Server tables using the SQL Server Spatial provider, I do it all the time, but if you don't store any spatial data in them then how do you plan on displaying them? The spatial provider needs to have a geometry field in it.

If it's just a table of points data that you have with X,Y or Lat,Long fields in it, then you should be able to use the ODBC Connection provider to display them. I found it easiest to just set up a DSN on my PC and use that, then you select which columns to use as your X and Y values.
Message 3 of 8
Metron4
in reply to: Gary_Braun

We plan on displaying SQL data linked to objects such as manholes, cables, etc. Think SurveyDate,Name,LidStamp. When the map gets published to our website a user should be able to click on a facility and access the relevant data.

I was able to create a connection by setting up an ODBC provider. That enabled me to attach the source as a Data Source in the Map Explorer which in turn allowed me to create a link template.

Message 4 of 8
AlbertKalman5692

Is not very clear what you want to do. Publish to web ? which web gis server?

Do you want to link autocad object to database via linktemplate ?

where is the manhole stored, in the drawing, database, shp,sdf?

Try to be more clear because personally I did not understand anything.

Albert Kalman

Message 5 of 8
Metron4
in reply to: AlbertKalman5692

Hi Albert, sorry but this is relatively new to me.

Yes, we are publishing maps to our Intranet to be used internally. We have Autodesk Infrastructure Map Server (AIMS). The goal is to link non-spatial data from our SQL databases to objects in our master utility records, and then publish the map to the intranet. Users can click on blocks in the dynamic map to get information linked to the database. I have succesfully set up a test link template that lets me connect SQL data to objects.

I suppose the manholes and other facilities will be stored as blocks in an .sdf file but I have not experimented with how .sdf handles dynamic blocks. I may have to revise our standard blocks.

I have yet to figure out how to display certain data in the map, such as a manhole label, but I think I will be able to accomplish that using the Style Editor.

Rob

Message 6 of 8
AlbertKalman5692

Rob,

My practical  experience say "try to move the geometry in a MS SQL somewhere in one table, try to use MS Server 2008 (also Express can do this)" 

That is more easily to manage it, you can create query in database and can link any database and any tables. Is very comfortable.

In 20018/2012  MS SQL you have option for "geometry" field type for table.

Also You can create the schema (structure) using Map > DataStore creation.

You can set "secondary link to a sdf" the name is "Join table"  also can do in Map but is a problem because is slow in AIMS. In my opinion the Join table not work in every Map version how it must. I have had a lot of discussion about it as beta tester. I prefer "Query" instead "Join table", but also there are some problems with query in AIMS . Smiley Frustrated . The query work like a charm in MAP but not suitable in AIMS

Depends on what Map and AIMS use, if you have 2013/2014 you have option for manege all data using Autodesk Model Design for gas, water, waste water or electric or you create your own using MS SQL Server 2013/2014. Is relative easy and versatile.

From my long experience the sdf is not very good for multiuser access  because is slow in a network environment for MAP. For a big sdf file there are some issue because is slow (may be the FDO provider), but for reasonable size work. We choose in every day practice to use sdf only for static data, which has not often change and copy local computer is more 10 time faster. We have for instace a 300 Mb sdf, is absolutely impossible to use in network environment.

But for AIMS de sdf is fast. For any others we choose to MS SQL Server 2008.

You need to make a careful analyses because you should must know there are some unfinished conception in MAP and AIMS and soon you will became frustrate "why can do this?" but there are some many undocumented tricks and with a long practical experience it's possible to solve many issues but also we can accept some compromise.  Autodesk should work to finish MAP an AIMS  without "create" a any new version every year". Smiley Surprised

Albert Kalman

Message 7 of 8
Metron4
in reply to: AlbertKalman5692

Thanks, Albert. That's a lot of great advice I will remember.
Message 8 of 8

can get non spatial data from  postgreSQL to autocad tables like to fill some columns as the below attached table image. Capture.PNG

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost