AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant use offset command with SDF map features

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jlo2009
713 Views, 4 Replies

Cant use offset command with SDF map features

I have a drawing that has a connection to OS background map data which is an SDF file.

I want to create new entities in their own new autocad layer based on an offset value from a line in the SDF data.

For example I want to create a new line in a new layer that is say 1.0m offset from a kerb line that appears in the SDF file called OSMMLINE.

I do not want to add these new entities to the SDF data.

When I try to use the offset command Map starts to "populate feature Cache" which takes several minutes, then I can use the offset command in the usual way and create a new line - which "properties" says is in a feature class layer called OSMMLINE(1).

AutoCAD Map 3D 2011 64bit / Win 7

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: jlo2009

Hi,

There is something I'm missing or I misunderstand anything.

Your title of this thread:

>> Cant use offset command with SDF map features

In your messagetext:

>> [...] then I can use the offset command [...]

What is now your issue?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
jlo2009

I want to create a line that is offset from the map data and i want that line to be in a plain autocad layer on top (independant from) of the SDF background map.

Map seems to think that I want the new offset line that I create to be added to the SDF features, which I dont.

I only want to use the SDF data as background map and create new line entities that are paralel to some of those features.

I dont want to have to check out and check in the SDF background map features and I dont want to amend the SDF background map features.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> and i want that line to be in a plain autocad layer

I guess that will not be possible as _OFFSET is technically similar to _COPY, when the source is a line the offsetted object is a line, if the source is a polyline then the resulting object is a polyline, if the source is a MAPFEATURE then the destination object is it too.

>> I dont want to have to check out and check in the SDF background map features and

>> I dont want to amend the SDF background map features.

With all the "I don't want" I guess you either need a tool to be written or you write one for yourself.

That does not mean that I don't understand your wish (now), but I don't see any option OTB.

The alternatives (OTB) I see, are:

• select the SDF-object ==> right-click ==> extract geometry from object (hope that is called so) and offset then this element
  • if you need many elements to be offseted you might use the _MAPIMPORT command to get the elements as AutoCAD-geometry that can be offsetted then.
  • construct a new polyline with running objectsnap "parallel"

Sorry, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
jlo2009
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred,

I guess its not possible to do offset SDF features in this way.

We already tried somrthing along the lines you described this morning -

• "if you need many elements to be offseted you might use the _MAPIMPORT command to get the elements as AutoCAD-geometry that can be offsetted then."

by only importing a certain feature code then export to dwg.and offset from those.

Thanks for your help.

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost