AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot activate attached drawings

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Gary_Braun
815 Views, 4 Replies

Cannot activate attached drawings

I'm running Map 2014 SP1 on my machine and the rest of the users in our organization are running Map 2013.

If I save a drawing back to a dwg 2010 version all is fine, but if I save the same drawing to a dwg 2013 version other users are not able to activate and query from it, even though they are otherwise still able to open and work with the drawing.

I'm not sure whether anyone out there has a fix or not, but has anyone else seen anything similar?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
phil_borycens
in reply to: Gary_Braun

Hi Gary,

What is the result when the 2013 users try to Activate, or Execute Query on the 2014-saved DWG? Is an error message displayed?

Thanks,

Phil Borycens
Message 3 of 5
Gary_Braun
in reply to: phil_borycens

Hi Phil,

There are no errors, just a pop-up warning  that Map cannot change the status of the attached drawing, or something like that. The situation is exactly the same as if another user had the drawing open already, thus preventing me from activating/querying from it.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 5
phil_borycens
in reply to: Gary_Braun

Thanks Gary, that helps. So I ran a little test myself. In Map 3D 2014, I created and saved a drawing (using the default 2013 DWG format). I created a second 2013 DWG to use for attaching. Then I Attached the second drawing into the first. I saved and closed the drawing. Then I launched Map 3D 2013 and opened the base drawing (that was created in 2014). The Attached drawing (also made in 2014) was still active. I then successfully Executed a LOCATION > ALL query too. So I don't think that there is an issue with the software.

I will just share the two reasons I know of where you might see the "Cannot change active status of" error.

A. When drawings that are attached to the current drawing have changed locations (or the mapped drive letter has changed). or

B. If you are trying to Attach or Query a DWG that is actually a newer DWG format than the program you are running. This is explained here: http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS22146937

Phil Borycens
Message 5 of 5
Gary_Braun
in reply to: phil_borycens

Thanks for that Phil,

Neither of the conditions you've given for the activation status error are in play here. As a general workflow, we don't save drawings with other drawings attached, so in each case this was a user opening either a template or an existing drawing and then going off and attaching a drawing in order to run a query. So plainly it shouldn't be a condition where the drawing can't be found on the network.

For condition B, since our users are on Map 2013 then I don't see why DWG format should be an issue, nevertheless, it seems as though it is. When I go back to my Map 2014 machine and resave the drawings back down to r2010 format it fixes the problem for us, and everyone on the 2013 machines can attach/activate/query successfully. So it is related to the drawing file format, but I just don't know why.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost