AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canned maps

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
144 Views, 3 Replies

canned maps

I just got Map 5 and am a bit confused ... I have a number of DWG files that I would like to display over a national map containing roads, water, landmarks, railroads, etc. ... is this available within Map 5? ... do I have to purchase it separately? ... thanks ...
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Robert, Is the national map a dwg file or a image file (jpeg, gif, bmp)?
If it's a dwg file you can open it and insert or xref the other dwgs into it like any other autocad dwg as lond as you just want to display the dwgs. If it's an image you can insert the image into a dwg then inser/xref the other dwgs. However to make sure the dwgs come in at the correct location they (dgw & national map) should be in the same cordinate system and geo-referenced to eack other.

.......Murph
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Thanks Murph ... I do not have a national map ... I guess I thought that Map5 was a GIS system similar to MapInfo or ARCView and had a national map of road, railroads, etc. built in.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Robert, You can get those maps, base maps as I call them, from a number of web sites. Try going to ERSI's site and look for some of the Tiger Data it will be in ersi shp format but AutoCAD Map will let you import them into a dwg. Also there are some sites that have them already in dwg format. www.topodepot.com ...Murph

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost