AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the latest AutoCAD Map 3D interface with Smallworld 4?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
cybertriton
996 Views, 7 Replies

Can the latest AutoCAD Map 3D interface with Smallworld 4?

I know there is a FDO component that can be used to interface with Smallworld 3 but does this support Smallworld 4? If it does not, is there a plan for Autodesk to support Smallworld 4? Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dennis
in reply to: cybertriton

Yes, the Smallworld FDO provider API to Smallworld is called SWConnector, and it fully supports Smallworld 4.  Please get in touch with us here at SBS if you need further details.

Dennis

Message 3 of 8
cybertriton

Thanks, Dennis. One of my clients is interested in replacing its existing design tools with Autodesk Utility Design but we wonder if Autodesk Utility Design 2012 version supports Smallworld 4. We need a formal confirmation on this in order to recommend AUD 2012 to the client. Can you share with me more information about this? Thanks.

Message 4 of 8
dennis

We are planning the FDO 2012 upgrade for availability in Q1 2012.  If we have a specific customer requirement we will accelerate development.  This is not a major enhancement to our current FDO interface.  

Regards,

Dennis

Message 5 of 8
RobertDLilley

If your customer is using Smallworld 4.x already then have they looked into using Design Manager's Design Layout Tools (DLTs) which exponentially increase the productivity of designers and planners when drafting new assets in Smallworld. Let me know if you still need more info.

Rob

Message 6 of 8
patreid
in reply to: RobertDLilley

Although DM has some nice enhancements, it is still a staking tool, and not a design tool. The clients I've worked with that are integrating Map3D and AUD to Smallworld often have other business drivers beyond the respective product features. A major factor to consider on selecting which tool to use include

• The number of skilled AutoCAD users is huge so the amount of user training is much less;it is easier to  bring in new designers - reducing training costs
  • As AUD is based on AutoCAD the FDO/AUD solution supports  interacting with 3rd party designers - which can help with cost reduction and resource leveling
  • Quite a few organizations still redraw their CAD designs into Smallworld for the above reasons.  An integrated solution can offer significant productivity savings
  • AUD has integrated engineering features that electric utilities should consider

Message 7 of 8
RobertDLilley

Yes I suppose if an organization wants to double the effort by designing in AutoCAD and then draft those designs in Smallworld then your arguments make sense. Or you can suck up the training costs to have them design/draft/cost in the GIS a single time using Design Manager and the DLTs.

Message 8 of 8
dennis
in reply to: RobertDLilley

Hi Rob, this is where the FDO architecture is really powerful as it allows direct, two-way interoperabililty between Smallworld and the Autodesk products that support the FDO protocol.  This acts similar to the Smallworld SOM (in reverse) allowing direct, or cached editing against the Smallworld VMDS database.  A lot of effort has gone into ensuring data integrity is maintained between the two systems while continuing to leverage the strength of Smallworld's established data management capabilities.  

We see lots of organizations that do as you describe: creating designs in CAD tools and then having to redraw them in their GIS.  We've done a number of business cases in this area and the savings are very significant, with quick payback when you can streamline processes with this type of integration.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost