AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't update the data connection source for all map layers

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
DS2Admin
919 Views, 6 Replies

Can't update the data connection source for all map layers

How can I update the data connection source for all the display map layers in my map layouts?

If I want to change the shapefile a layer is representing I can not get the layer to point to the new shapefile.

The layer seems to alway remember the name/location of the old shapefile.

If I export the layer and modifiy the value in Notepad then load a new layer from the saved and modified layer file it will change.  However I would have to do this for every layer I want to change.

Is there another way to change the property of this layer in AutoCAD?

Example:  I create a drawing and layout with a Display layer that points to the FDO data for shapefiles "C:\data\buildings.shp".

I then give the drawing to another worker hows data is on "E:\DATA\BUILDINGS.SHP" the data connection to the layer cannot be updated that I can see.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
parkr4st
in reply to: DS2Admin

possibly create a drive alias.  it is explained in help

dave

Message 3 of 7
DS2Admin
in reply to: parkr4st

The problem with creating a drive alias is that it does not handle the shape file having a differant name or the shape file capitalized.  I will play with that though.

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
hence_the_name

Hi Todd,

ideally data is stored on network drive an shared by all users.

But if you need to adapt your layer to a different data source (e.g. file name) you could do it like this:

- in Display Manager right click on layer and save as layer file

- open saved layer file (it's xml) with text editor and modify reference to path/file name

- save file and drag it into display manager

This way you will keep your stylization.

Good luck,

Rob

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/
Message 5 of 7
DS2Admin
in reply to: hence_the_name

As I noted this is what I am currently doing but is cumbersom to do for as many layers as I have in the drawing.  If you are familiar with ESRI's ArcMap their layers datasource can be updated by finding the datasource for one layer and it then terverses the remaining layers that have broken links to their data sources and updates them based on the first one.  Very quick and simple. 

Message 6 of 7
DS2Admin

Civil 3D has a Data shortcut editor that is suppose to do what I need.  Does anyone know if it is available for Map 3d?

Message 7 of 7
KDAddison

Am I reading this right, there is no way to change the source path of an existing data connection?!?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost