AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

Product Support
phil_borycens
Message 11 of 22 (1,082 Views)

Re: Can't Get Rid of Ribbon in Workspace

01-03-2012 06:01 PM in reply to: phmurphy

Hi Pat,

If you create a switch for the Map Classic workspace, you shall remain ribbonless.

Please let me know if for some reason you experience different results.

Thanks!

Phil Borycens
Distinguished Contributor
phmurphy
Message 12 of 22 (1,080 Views)

01-03-2012 06:06 PM in reply to: phil_borycens

I just tried it and it opened with the Map Classic workspace but still with the ribbon.

phmurphy
Message 13 of 22 (1,077 Views)

01-03-2012 06:11 PM in reply to: phmurphy

Screen shot attached

nwray
Message 14 of 22 (1,061 Views)

01-04-2012 08:25 AM in reply to: phmurphy

Hi Pat,

In your startup switch, do you have a switch to load the ribbonoff script?  I've attached the script here, you just need to save it in the default script file location, change the extension from "txt" to "scr", and add a startup switch to run it.  I posted instructions for the switch earlier on this thread.  If the command line "ribbonclose" command works on your system, then the script should as well.

Norm

phmurphy
Message 15 of 22 (1,050 Views)

01-04-2012 09:54 AM in reply to: nwray

Thanks,

Getting closer, but still a problem.

Here is the target I am using.

/w "Map Classic Workspace" /b "ribbonoff".  It works, but only once, then it fails. 

For example if I open Map after turning the computer on, it opens with the correct workspace and the ribbon turned off.  If I close MAP and open it again, the ribbon is back on.

If I tag the shortcut to a preexisting Map file with the /w "Map Classic Workspace" /b "ribbonoff", it doesn't work unless it is the first thing I open.

I probably missed something in your instructions, or possible there is something else ging on with the script file, such as it only gets to run at the first opening of MAP.  I see that the Tools>Run Script has different folder targets depending on what file I am opening, and it ends up being the same folder as the dwg.  Can the scr target folder be fixed somehow.  I don't see a way to set it in the Tools>Options>Files.

nwray
Message 16 of 22 (1,039 Views)

01-04-2012 11:20 AM in reply to: phmurphy

Hi Pat,

I've run across the same problem trying to find out if there is a default location for script files.  I can't seem to confirm one through the user documentation; maybe Phil from product support can help with that?  I did run across an article about ACAD 2005 written by Lynn Allen (http://www.cadalyst.com/cad/autocad/startup-switches-take-tedium-out-starting-up-2917) where she suggest that script files be saved "somewhere along the support path."  On my computer, the support path is "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Map 3D 2010\Support" maybe you can try saving the script file under the support folder and see if it fixes the problem.

Norm

nwray
Message 17 of 22 (1,029 Views)

01-04-2012 02:28 PM in reply to: phmurphy

Hi again,

I looked into this a bit more and found something that should work.  Under Tools>Options, select the Files tab and maximize the "support file search path."  This should show you a listing of all file paths that Map is looking at to get any support files.  You should be able to copy the script file into any of these folders and have it work.

Alternately, if your IT people are as paranoid as mine and you don't have write privileges to the "program files" directory, you have the option to add a new support file path (see the image I attached).  When you click on add, it will start a new entry and you just type in the file path.  For my test, I created a new folder here "C:\Script Files", then I removed the ribbonoff script from "my documents" and put it in the new folder.  Now, when I open CAD it recognizes the new folder and finds the script file with no problems.  I think this should work for you.

I think that there will still be problems if you try to open a drawing from the file without launching CAD first.  When I right click on any of my actual DWG's, they are set to be opened by the "AutoCAD DWG Launcher."  This "launcher" does not run through all of the command switches that you set in your desktop shortcut, so it will not load to any specific workspace or using any script files.  Instead, it will open in whatever the last view that you saved it it was (ie: if the ribbon was on when you saved, then it will still be on when you open it).

Norm

Gary_Braun
Message 18 of 22 (1,010 Views)

01-06-2012 08:33 AM in reply to: phmurphy

This sounds all too familiar to me. I got several users with 2012_SP1 installed who prefer to use the old time tool bars rather than the ribbons, so we have created ribbonless workspaces for them and added the /w switch to the start-up, but even though they get their workspace loaded correctly, they still get a ribbon appear at the top of it all. It's very frustrating. SP1 simply didn't fix this correctly.

phmurphy
Message 19 of 22 (1,008 Views)

01-06-2012 10:13 AM in reply to: Gary_Braun

Did you try the additional - /w "Map Classic Workspace" /b "ribbonoff" along with the script file described above?   For me it works, but only once, then it fails.

Valued Mentor
fieldguy
Message 20 of 22 (696 Views)

01-23-2013 01:48 PM in reply to: phmurphy

I am using this post as this issue is not resolved in Map 3D 2013 32 bit in Win 7 Pro 32 bit.  I am using the ribbonoff script as described previously.  There also seems to be an issue with TILEMODE.  I use an acaddoc.lsp file and today I added (command "TILEMODE" 1) and that is also ignored, or over written after acaddoc executes.

Attached is my text window history when acad starts. My desktop shortcut has /w "Left", /p "Left" and /b "ribbonoff".  I have both a profile and a workspace called "Left".  As a test I added (command "_SCRIPT" "ribbonoff") to my acaddoc file.  It works but after acad is loaded and ready to open a file, the ribbon is on and I am in layout 1 of drawing 1.

The Product Version is G.114.0.0 HF1.  I have downloaded SP1 32 bit but when I run it I get the error as attached.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.