AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Map 3D do what I need it to? ...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
anna.pesola
460 Views, 6 Replies

Can Map 3D do what I need it to? ...

Hello,

I just downloaded Map 3D. I would like to compile many layers of maps for my senior project as an engineering student. I am conducting a feasibility study of offshore wind on Lake Michigan. I would like to combine maps with information like electric grid power flow, bird migration patterns, protected fisheries areas, navigation routes, water depth etc. I have found this data mapped elsewhere and much of this information is available in varied formats.

I don't want to invest the time to learn this program if I will not be able to combine this data because I am so busy. It seems that I would be able to do it once I learn the program though. I will spend the time to learn AutoCAD Map 3D if I can use it for what I need it for.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Anna

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Murph_Map
in reply to: anna.pesola

Yes, Map3D can do that. What format is the data that you have so far?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 7
anna.pesola

As can be expected, I am having a hard time finding all the data I need.

So far, the maps are in these data types:

.BSB or KAP

Vector data files or Raster data files

Shapefiles, KMZ, or Metadata

I am not an experienced programmer so this information might not be translated with proper terminology. I will buy and work throughout the tutorials from AutoCAD and "A Practical Guide to AUTOCAD Map 3D 2013" so I can learn the program. I appreciate your feedback though because I don't really have the time to waste on a program that wont work. Ultimately, I will use this program to find probable locations for offshore wind parks and design the parks per location.

After skimming through GIS and mapping programs, these data types seem pretty typical. After watching the general Map 3D videos, it seems like Map 3D could translate these files, if I pick the right coordinate system. Does the "universal" coordinate system work well for something like this? I am assuming that the book and tutorials will help me answer such an introductory question (although critical to my success).

Message 4 of 7
Murph_Map

I would use one of the State Plane Coordinate systems for the state of Mich. As long as you know what CS the data is in Map3D can translate it for you.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 7
anna.pesola

Thanks Murph.

I am starting to go through the tutorials now. I would need 4 State Plane Coordinate Systems to get all of Lake Michigan (WI, MI, IL, IN).  I briefly read about how to link the points between states CS. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will try that first.

I really appreciate your fast response. You saved me! Have you heard any reviews about the book I mentioned on my last post?

Anna 

Message 6 of 7
antoniovinci

Mrs.Anna, if you already know Autocad, the learning curve of Map release will be smooth. But, if you never managed with Autocad, you won't learn a master software like Map without a regular course. Moreover, if your goal is only to compose existing data, I would do that quickly by means of an easy opensource, e.g. QGis...
Message 7 of 7
anna.pesola

I did download GMT... I guess I feel completely lost when I look at open source stuff. Maybe QGis is different (?).

I do know how to do simple drawing in AutoCAD so the familiarity is nice. For that reason, I think the learning curve is less intimidating. I look forward to getting better at AutoCAD in my career so I don't mind learning Map 3D if it can do what I need it to.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost