AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i join a spreadsheet like I do in arcgis?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
MKH-VB
413 Views, 6 Replies

can i join a spreadsheet like I do in arcgis?

have a shape file I am accessing in map and arcgis. In arcgis, I am able to link (join) a spreadsheet to a field in my shapefile. Is it possible to do this in autocad map as well? Thanks for any info.

MKH

mkh
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
parkr4st
in reply to: MKH-VB

what version of map do you have?

Message 3 of 7
Murph_Map

Also what version of MS Office, what operating system, and what ODBC drivers are installed. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 7
MKH-VB
in reply to: Murph_Map

windows 7 pro
office 2007
Map 3d 2014
mkh
Message 5 of 7
Murph_Map

This was how I used to do it. First open the speadsheet and set the range of data you want to use. Excel help should show you how. Next use the ODBC admin tools in Windows to create a new Data Source connection (I use USERS) select the excel file and save the data source. Next in Map3D make a data connection (FDO) to the data source you just created. Connect to the shp file if you haven't already then use the Create a Join from the ribbon. The help file button should give you some ideas on the type of join. 

Now the trouble you MAY face is AutoCAD and Windows being a 64bit and Office 2007 32 bits. 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticle...

http://map3d.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/map3d-and-64bit-odbc-connections/

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Next use the ODBC admin tools in Windows to create a new Data Source connection

The alternative to create ODBC items for every single file you can also use a connection-string within the ODBC-section/MAPCONNECT dialog.

2014-07-15 07-01-22.png

A sample connction-string for Excel/XLSX file:

Driver={Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls, *.xlsx, *.xlsm, *.xlsb)};Dbq=C:\TEMP\123.xls;

More details on connection-strings and Excel (for different versions of Excel/file-formats) can be found >>>there<<<.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 7
diane.cloutier

Hi all,

Here is another article with a workaround for installing the 64-bit database driver alongside 32-bit Office.  I have tested and verified it works with Office 2007 (I will be updating the article to include 2007 along with 2010 and 2013).  

How to install 64-bit Microsoft Database Drivers alongside 32-bit Microsoft Office

Thanks!

Diane Cloutier

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost