AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Autocad 2014 directly export shapefiles the way Autocad Map 2007 could??

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Victor-USFWS
1459 Views, 7 Replies

Can Autocad 2014 directly export shapefiles the way Autocad Map 2007 could??

Autocad Map 3D 2014 shape file creation SUCKS when compared to Autocad Map 2007. I never should have bought in to the hype that I needed to upgrade Autocad. Autocad 2014 appears to no longer have an option to easily create shape files. Is the old functionality of Autocad Map 2007 still buried in Autocad 2014 somewhere?

I move a lot of shape files to and from Autocad and Arcmap. Closed poly line to shape file and shapefile to closed polyline. Linework only, no attribute data beyond the information necessary to convert between coordinate systems. I've been able to successfully import a shapefile into Autocad 2014, but no dice going in the other direction.  I am very disapointed. To say the learning curve is steep is an understatement.

Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi,

welcome  @forums.autodesk.com!

>> Autocad 2014 appears to no longer have an option to easily create shape files

First: all that is working with 2014 too, you can use coordinate system, you can import and export polygonal themes too, and you can have attributive data. It's just a little bit training/learning the "how to".

For polygons: There is a (quite) new object called MPOLYGON. So when using _MAPIMPORT by default this type of objects is created with the advantage that it knows it's outest border and it's islands. If you import the SHP-content as simple polylines you loose the info about what polyline is an island and what polyline is an outline.

>> I've been able to successfully import a shapefile into Autocad 2014, but no dice going in the other direction

Can you describe what is happening, just "does not work" is not enough. If you want to export line-themes select "Line" in the first tab of the MAPEXPORT-dialog and click OK, how many objects are then exported (is reported in the command-line), if 0 then the question is what objects (geometry types) do you have in your drawing (and can we have the drawing? Makes it easier to verify your results)

If you like to export (AutoCAD) polylines for a polygonal SHP, then check "Polygon" in the first tab of the MAPEXPORT dialog, on the third tab ("Options") check "Treat closed polylines as polygons". Also here, if "0 objects exported" is the message you get please let us know what objects you have in your dwg.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 8
Murph_Map
in reply to: Victor-USFWS

Try the old MAPEXPORT4 command, that was the old export engine, I tested in 2015 and it is discontinued in 2015 it might still be in 2014 version.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Murph_Map

Hi,

>> Try the old MAPEXPORT4 command, that was the old export engine, I tested in 2015

>> and it is discontinued in 2015 it might still be in 2014 version.

Aahhh, great idea ... and YES, _MAPEXPORT4 exists, in 2014 and 2013, but reduced for DGN, MIF and ArcInfo Coverage (tried with Civil 3D, so might differ in Map 3D).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 8
foxeec
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Using MAPEXPORT should still allow you to export to shapefiles in 2014 the way you are used to.  Do you have service packs installed?  I seem to remember that when 2014 came out, there was an issue with the exporting function that may have been resolved in the service pack.

Lorrie

Message 6 of 8

Although MAPEXPORT4 did create a coverage for me, ArcMap10.1 no longer supports them. Back to the drawing board...
Message 7 of 8
Victor-USFWS
in reply to: foxeec

Totally bizarre. MAPEXPORT is working today, in Civil 3D. SHP file creation was not an option on Friday. All I could create were Microstation files, Autodesk SDF files and other junk ArcMap 10.1 could not use. Quite frustrating when I knew the capability had been there before.

Maybe the network guys installed a Service Pack over the weekend that was not installed at the time of my original posting. More likely it's because I was following the advice of the wrong part of the Autocad 2014 voluminous help files.

I wish to thank all of you for your help. Something worked and I am back on track and can now tackle the other changes 2014 has over the 2007 version.
Message 8 of 8
Victor-USFWS
in reply to: Victor-USFWS

Ha.. "following the advice of the wrong part"... comment was supposed to be part of the 1st paragraph explaining the problems I'd been facing, not the 2nd paragraph. Makes no sense there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost