AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate cable trench lengths per array

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
neilyj666
680 Views, 17 Replies

Calculate cable trench lengths per array

I posted this in the Civil forum and the response was that it could be possible but I haven't got it to work

"I have a proposed electrical cable trench layout (simple polylines on specific layers relating to the type of trench required) as well as simple polylines denoting the arrays that the trenches serve.

I need to calculate the various lengths split by array and at the moment all I can see is to use Mapclean to split the cable trenches at the array boundaries and use a data extract with a manual selection of the relavant polylines which

I am wondering if there is some slick way to do it in Civil (perhaps using Map functionality)."

Thanks

Neil

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: neilyj666

HI,

my way would be to create one topology for cables, a second topology for the array boundaries and run a topology overlay analysation to

• cut the line objects at the polygonal boundaries
  • assign the line objects the id from the polygon so each line knows it's area

Same can be done with SDF/SHP files using FDO technology, maybe more easy as you don't need to run all the cleanup (on the other hand cleanup/clean geometry is never wrong). This FDO gives you the option to access the attributive data as table, so that might be the advantage for that technology as you copy & paste the data now directly from this table to Excel for further calculation like summary etc.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 18
parkr4st

cad lines or fdo objects?

if you had FDO you should be able to intersect lines with arrays and get your data attached to the lines

can you post the dwg?

dave

Message 4 of 18
neilyj666
in reply to: parkr4st

Dwg as requested - I'm not too familiar with MAP workflows/terminology so please bear in mind when replying...:)

Thanks

Neil

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 18
parkr4st

the tutorials in help explain either method.  The basic theory of each is that the objects of attributes such a length, location, material, type of cable, etc.

each method will attach the data to the objects and allow you to query, calculate, display the objects by data attributes.

search the tutorials for topology and sdf.  I am not sure just what in in the civil help so take a look and ask the questions as you need to.

dave

Message 6 of 18
neilyj666
in reply to: parkr4st

How do I get any object data/attributes attached to plain CAD objects?

EESignature

Message 7 of 18
parkr4st

help and look for this

About Object Data
LIKE (0)

Object data is attribute data that is attached to individual objects and stored in tables in the drawing. Object data tables store text and numerical information related to an object.

To use object data, first define the format for the table, and then create each record as you attach it to an object.

After you define an object data table, you can associate it with one or more drawing objects. When you attach object data to a drawing object, AutoCAD Map 3D creates a new record in the selected table and attaches the record to the object. You can create more than one record for each object, and you can attach records from more than one table to an object.

Related Tasks

Message 8 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

please find in >>>that link<<< a video (13MB, to big to upload it here) ... that shows the steps you have to go with your data (using first topology then FDO).

The resulting SDF is directly here attached.

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 18
parkr4st
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

alfred

perhaps you can attach the array sdf so op can see the bounds.

dave

Message 10 of 18
neilyj666

Many thanks Alfred - the video is very very helpful.

I'll try the steps tonight at home as a bit too busy at present

EESignature

Message 11 of 18
neilyj666

It was worth trying for the learning experience and I'll use the techniques in future but as a matter of interest how quickly could you (as an experienced MAP user) do this task .

As I'm more familiar with AutoCAD it took me a few minutes to do a Data Extraction

EESignature

Message 12 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> how quickly could you (as an experienced MAP user) do this task

With your uploaded data in about 3-4min.

It may use a bit more time if the drawing structure is not clean and repairs would have to be done.

>> As I'm more familiar with AutoCAD it took me a few minutes to do a Data Extraction

Using DATAEXTRACTION does not give you the info about which line is within which area/polygon ... or I missed something 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 13 of 18
neilyj666

That's true- but I cheated slightly by setting a colour for all the lines in each of the arrays i.e. red yellow and green and extracted the length, layer and colour and then exported to Excel.

EESignature

Message 14 of 18
neilyj666

I did quite like your method but I find MAP a bit confusing to use especially choosing the attributes etc

EESignature

Message 15 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I cheated slightly by setting a colour for all the lines in each of the arrays

I would say every (legal) way to cheat, that gives you the correct result is a good way.

And whatever method to solve something is shown here, all these products allow us multiple ways to get thing solved, and that is great!

>> but I find MAP a bit confusing to use especially choosing the attributes etc

As everything in the world, the more often you use it the more you get used to it.

At least same as Civil 3D, using it only twice a year makes the product extremly complex, using it on daily basis let you see the power of the product 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 16 of 18
neilyj666

Quite correct - the only MAP function I use wirh any regularity is MAPCLEAN.

Having your video really helped me to work through the process

EESignature

Message 17 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

You are very welcome! - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 18 of 18
neilyj666

I'm going to say the solution to this is mainly dependent on your skill/confidence levels with using MAP functionality or Data Extraction tools as both work pretty well

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost