AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD vs GIS

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
andrew.warren
762 Views, 1 Reply

CAD vs GIS

I have been tasked with laying out a road map of when to send figures to GIS and when to send to CAD. I am the CAD Manager / Designer for an Environmental Engineering company. We do things such as design jobs (CAD no brainier) and Data Over Time for sampling (GIS). This is by no means an industry **** vs tat, this is something I have to do to divided work-flow between two departments. My company is in the process of doing more Design work and want the CAD Designers to focus on that. Letting GIS take some of the smaller Environmental reporting will help with workloads. My preference would be to hire a bunch of CAD guys and do it all under me,but I have to share based on company directives. 

We do things such as POT Maps, Well locations, SPCC, SWPPS, GWPP, Remediation design etc. Some of these are in a gray area of which dept needs to do it. Here is what I was thinking let me know what you think?

CAD - When Dims are important (ie treatment system design)

• When buildings are involved (ie adding piping to buildings for treatment systems, or storage of system)
  • When Field lines and Well headers are involved.
  • SPCC's SWPP's GWPP's type of reports

GIS - Data over Time

• Samples taken quarterly and same map used every time
  • Color Banding needed to show plumes and hot areas
  • Images used instead of drawings aka Google image as base map

Combined Work-flow would be CAD do a Base Map for GIS of building, then GIS updates it with monthly reporting.

Andy Warren
BCDesign@bellsouth.net
Tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Murph_Map
in reply to: andrew.warren

If you're still at the same firm I recommend you hire a AutoCAD GIS guru to handle it. : )  I just happen to know one that needs to get back into it.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost