AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buffering a 3d line

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
emandeno
586 Views, 5 Replies

buffering a 3d line

Hello,

I searched the archives and couldn't find a previous post similar to mine, so here it goes:

I have several hypothetical well bore lines. They are deviated wells which means the lines go straight down from the surface for a bit and then continue down at an angle. I need to buffer these lines in 3D space.

I've used the buffering topologies tool, but all it get is a buffer around the what would be the "plan" view of the well bore. Is there anyway to get the program to buffer around the actual 3D line and compute a volume?

I'm using AutoCAD Civil #D 2013.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tjmapper
in reply to: emandeno

You could use SWEEP to make 3d object along a path. you would just have to draw the capsule shapes on the end if you needed it to extend out.

So you would draw a Circle the size of your buffer then select the path for it to follow.

Sorry if that's not what you need.

Message 3 of 6
parkr4st

you can sweep the bore down the center line and make the 3d cylinder

however if you need the volume and not the graphical picure could you get by with volume = pi*r^2*length as object data?

Dave

Message 4 of 6
emandeno
in reply to: parkr4st

Ah, thank you tjmapper and parkr4st! A new command. I've never used SWEEP before. I tried it just right now and it didn't work, but I think it is because of user error. I just have to figure it out and I should be good to go. I'll report back son.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
tjmapper

If you are looking for volume, make sure you after you start the command you type MODE -> Solid.

Can't get the Volume of a surface now can you Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 6
emandeno

Yup! That worked. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost