AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bing image date

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
rmacan
7383 Views, 15 Replies

Bing image date

Is anyone aware of a way to find out the info on a Bing map using GEOMAP?  I was just wondering what year I was looking at!

Randy

Tags (2)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: rmacan

Hi,

I don't think that you can get more info than the copyright one in the lower-right corner.

Even for the same position there are different images (different source dates) depending on zoom/scale.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 16
swt-gis
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Try Bing imagery analyzer for OSM. This web page shows the default bing satellite and aerial photos overlaid with
their capture date as set in the HTTP headers for each tile.

Tags (3)
Message 4 of 16
jimmygd
in reply to: swt-gis

Has anyone found additional date identifiers that are built into Civil 3D?

Message 5 of 16
MPGotham
in reply to: swt-gis

This link is very helpful but its surprising that C3D doesn't have some metadata available for the imagery.  Fairly important information...

Message 6 of 16
BruceAdams
in reply to: rmacan

Bing aerial images are ancient history compared to google earth aerial images. I suggest you use GE instead of Bing for looking at historical and recent imagery. (BTW GE pro is now available for free at the Google Earth web site).  

Microsoft Bing is lagging so far behind with their imagery. Us Map3d users will have to suffer the consequebces once again for the very poor decisions of Autodesk leadership who they decided to partner with.  It's really frustrating how much we pay for this software only to find out we can't even import a simple google earth KMZ without buying another third party software.

Message 7 of 16
jimmygd
in reply to: BruceAdams

Yes, Bing images is inferior but since it is already integrated into Civil3D it is helpful for quick uses. I rarely use anything but USDA NAIP imagery for technical/plan set applications. 

Message 8 of 16

I agree! It is very disappointing to me that AutoDesk relies on 3rd party software to "correct" issues. The NVt2 transformation issue is another one. This took me YEARS to figure out, and thanks to some fine folks here on the forum.

AutoDesk, for what you guys charge for your software, this is not cool.

Message 9 of 16

"Try Bing imagery analyzer for OSM. This web page shows the default bing satellite and aerial photos overlaid with
their capture date as set in the HTTP headers for each tile."

... This WAS the solution at one time, but the site has recently changed and the date tiling is no longer available. I suspect it has something to do with the author of this site not being properly authorized to do this by the Bing Gods.

So... we are back to square one. Anyone else know how to determine Bing air photo dates?

Thanks,

Liesl

Message 10 of 16

Unfortunately this site has stopped displaying photo dates a few months ago. Very unfortunate and frustrating for those of us who have relied on this.

Message 11 of 16

@thinkenvirodrafting and @jimmygd,

The BING Map Metadata is available via their API  on their REST service (SHOWN HERE). You need an API key (free - I just got one), then you'll need to set up a WMS connection to their developer service. 

Now EXACTLY how to do all of that I'm not totally certain Smiley Very Happy

Warren Geissler
Drafting Manager Denver Water

Please ACCEPT AS SOLUTON if this works
(...and doesn't melt your computer or cause Armageddon)

Message 12 of 16

This will be GOLD if it works ... I'll let you know. Thanks for the information!!

Message 13 of 16

AND - if it works, let me know how you did it all. I'm not familiar with REST services via WMS. (I know they work - just never done one!)

Warren Geissler
Drafting Manager Denver Water

Please ACCEPT AS SOLUTON if this works
(...and doesn't melt your computer or cause Armageddon)

Message 14 of 16

Any Updates on how to get the dates? A easy way without keys, api's etc. ?

Message 15 of 16
CMyersNHNL6
in reply to: CMyersNHNL6

Ok, So the openstreetmaps analyzer website went down in 2018... is there anyway now to get the image dates? Its been very frustrating to have no solution for so long...this is a long standing problem!

The API Key for Bing route does not work. Got the key and that doesn't work out.

Message 16 of 16

I haven't seen anything new that provides Bing dates and for the life of me can't understand why. Very frustrating. Let me know if you do find an application that gives Bing dates, please!!

Cheers,

Liesl

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost