AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice for Fiber optic project

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Naesstrom
6219 Views, 8 Replies

Best practice for Fiber optic project

Hello everyone!

I'm hoping to get some guidance for how to approach this.

In my village we're building a fiber network to get some better internet speeds and as the data-wiz I got selected to make some maps for the fiberoptic digging etc.

So, I have a geotiff image and until now I've been editing it in Adobe Illustrator, just to show people where we'll be digging the lines etc. but in a month we'll be starting for real and then we need some reports for distances etc. I googled some and Autocad Map 3d looks like the right way to go but I'm feeling pretty stupid right now... I've imported the geotiff, set the correct coordinates and measuring a known distance I can verify that it's right!

So, next steps, I don't have any shape files, just the raster image and on this I want to add 3 kinds of fiberlines (main line, service line and empty pipes) and create reports for each of them. A bonus would be to be able to draw the various properties that will be connected to!

I'm used to vektor drawings so I have no problem redrawing the entire raster image clearing out the extra info as I go but I just havn't figured out how to change the looks on things I draw! The Industry templates looks great but there isn't any for fiber optics?

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
luc.vanlinden
in reply to: Naesstrom

Hi

It depends ...

On what, how, frequency... you will need to report on, and what will you be doing with this data afterwards (in terms of maintaining/operating the network).. These questions will give input on:

-how detailed you will need to "manage" the objects in MAP 3D

-what is the best simplest approach for doing so.

First of all, I would at start minimize the effort on "digitizing" the image content, unless you would need elements (parcels buildings, streets etc) to facilitate the management.

For the fiber optic network, should the progress reporting be simple you could do this with simple autocad objects, attaching some Object data on it, and generate reports out of that. For each of your 3 objects set them on a different layer with required attribution.

Also Feature classification would be a way to move forward (just do not use Mlines ;-). As it would facilitate the creation easily.

If you would really need to get more detail and require a more topological and hierarchical support, you could go with the Industry models, the underground Electricity model is in fact a good "trench" / Pipes / cable model that connects to Junctions/manholes/service points. This offers functionality on tracing and connectivity (on the fiber/electrical cable level). You just use the EL model as if it was a fiber cable model (without further details)

Until this level, you can do this with the standard AutoCad Map 3D (license).

Should you require to get a step deeper, and start engineering/maintaining fiber connectivity (bundle/fibers/splice/patches/ODfs etc), you would need indeed an Industry Model for Fiber Networks.

This comes with an additional cost on top of Map 3D (via 3rd party solutions)

Some of the Autodesk partners offer specific Fiber Optic solutions on top of Map 3D, either as an Industry Model, or as an application.

As you can see, it depends on your requirements, workload, budget,  nr of users, etc.

Feel free to contact me directly

Luc Van Linden

be.linkedin.com/in/lucvanlinden/

Message 3 of 9
kajar
in reply to: luc.vanlinden

HI Luc!

Company where I'm working trying to find solution for managing Fiber Optical network. We already have MAP 3d and seems  Industry Model can be the solution we looking, but there are only electric model template, which seems not specific for Fiber network.

Can you suggest some good Industry model solution  for Fiber on top of Map 3D.

Kajar

Message 4 of 9
luc.vanlinden
in reply to: kajar

Hi Kajar

I work as independant consultant so normally I try to avoid making explicit recomendations as such. We start looking at the IT environment, installed based, backoffice systems, existing data etc deployed, exist at the customer.

Given the fact that you explicit mention AutoCAD MAP with Industry models, I can however, as an exception, point you to TKI Chemnits NET explorer solution, FIBER optic solution.

http://www.network-explorer.de/en/products.html

Good luck.

Luc

Message 5 of 9
paulf
in reply to: luc.vanlinden

Is there any possibility to do fiber optic diagramming without Map? I have ACAD Electrical and would like to develop my diagrams with pre-defined symbols, etc.

Message 6 of 9
kajar
in reply to: paulf

When you talking about fiber network then dont even think about documenting it using plain Acad, you'll end up with some special software and it means you must create it again from 0 in new environment. I currently experiencing same   process, where we must build network based on dwg files.

Kajar

Message 7 of 9
paulf
in reply to: kajar

Kajar, your response makes no sense to me. First I'm not using "plain"
Acad. I'm using Acad Electrical which is a powerful tool in creating
schematics with parametric blocks. What do you mean by special software?
Why would I need to recreate in a "new" environment? What software are
you using to build your documentation from dwg files?
Message 8 of 9
kajar
in reply to: paulf

Ok for creating static schemas Electric  may really good. 

I just talking about bigger picture, which covers  full fiber/cable lifecycle :).  Schematics without having database behind it is real pain.

Message 9 of 9
ehab_emad2
in reply to: Naesstrom

Hi everyone,
I need your help. I am trying to convert fiber.DWG from 2D to 3D but the problem I do not which one I have to download there are many Autocad. Autocad 2018, Autocad MEP 2021, Electrical or which one? the second question after downlaod the right version of Autocad is that how can I convert 2D to 3D.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost