AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Shp file?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Joe-Bouza
353 Views, 8 Replies

Bad Shp file?

I have the county 2 foot contours and the shp file is about 500 MB. When I try FDO or mapimport with a spacial filter I get nothing or junk, and I am in the correct location. If I get the GIS department to clip out an area I need it comes in as expected.

What could be wrong and can the shp file and can it be fixed? I tried bring in the whole migilla in to try and convert to sdf but the size of the file kills my work station and I cant get there.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
antoniovinci
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Well, to find the guilty in this case, I would open that huge shape in the opensource "Mapwindow Gis 64 bit": what happens then?

Message 3 of 9
Murph_Map

If you're using a spacial filter to bring it in either FDO or Map import I would say the coordinate system is not matching up. Is Civil3D reading the project file?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Murph_Map

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're using a spacial filter to bring it in either FDO or Map import I would say the coordinate system is not matching up. Is Civil3D reading the project file?

What's the project file? And I'm pretty sure the coordinates are the same how do I check? And like I said if GIS depart clips out the intended area it comes in?

What I usually do is GE in the location in state plane so I know where I am. And the clipped shp is dead on within the spacial area I originally requested

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 9
Murph_Map

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What's the project file? And I'm pretty sure the coordinates are the same how do I check? And like I said if GIS depart clips out the intended area it comes in?

What I usually do is GE in the location in state plane so I know where I am. And the clipped shp is dead on within the spacial area I originally requested

Project = PROJECTION or the .prj file, it's early still down here. 🙂

Murph
Message 6 of 9
Joe-Bouza

Ok.

But if the clipped version works wouldn't that indicate the projection file is correct?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 9
Murph_Map

What may be happening is the orginal shp is in one CS (XX) the GIS guy can bring it into a GIS project that is in YY CS, the shp is reprojected to match. They then do a "clip" for you and it, the new shp file takes on the YY coordinate system. So now you have the orginal in XX and a clipped in YY. You can look in the .pro file and see what it says. Notepad will open them.

Murph
Message 8 of 9
thepworth

Since the .PRJ projection file is just a .txt file of the CS, what happens if you take the .PRJ for the working clip area and simply rename the .PRJ to match the larger dataset - CLIPPED.PRJ -> Origininal.PRJ and then try to bring it in with FDO & a spatial filter?

Message 9 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: thepworth

That sounds like it worth a try. I'll let you know

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost