AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatic labeling

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
schklj
392 Views, 1 Reply

automatic labeling

In my job I deal mostly with drawing in an underground utility line. These lines can run 30-40 thousand feet long or more. We place “tick marks” every 100 feet on these lines. In paper space, on our construction sheet, we place a piece of text across the top of the sheet labeling the tick marks 100’, 200’, 300’…and so on so that we know at any given point how much line has been placed. So far this text is placed manually and we ourselves count the tick marks as we go and type the footage in the text at the top of the sheet. This can take some time to do. My question is, is there any way to automate this process? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
parkr4st
in reply to: schklj

you can use MEASURE to place the points along the pline at the intervals of 100 and add one point at the end for the leftover.  mapexport the points to SDF file and put the sdf into the map.  use the FeatID as a label.

However, placement and alignment of the label question.  do the labels align to the utility line aligned as one long straight line or are they placed vertically above the map view and align in your top banner to the "x" location of the interval with variations in spacing in the top banner?

i.e. if the pipe runs perfectly east west the lables will be evenly spaced in the top, along a curve varying spacingn to s the labels pile on top of each other unless yopu rotate the alignment on a sheet.

do you rotate the sheets so the lines are basically horizontal across each sheet?

In the field soes someone check of each 100 foot interval as installed in a database?

dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost