AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Map3d 2014 Crashing

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
nkg2
1516 Views, 12 Replies

AutoCAD Map3d 2014 Crashing

Has anyone experience 2014 crashing while you are sitting there with no work or open dialogue?  Each time a report was generated and sent to Microsoft.   All I have done up to the point it crashed was use data connect to attached shape files for a single county.   The only thing new to my computer today was the installation of a new AVG antivirus software.   Other than that, I thoroughly cleaned it because I set off alarms on my Quad Core Xeon processors using Infraworks (that was neat, first time ever doing that - cores got to mid 80s degree C)  I am using Win 7 Professional and Quadro 4000 and 12 GB of ram.   64-bit.

***Viewer/Reader Discretion is Advised***
Autodesk 2022- Architectural, Engineering and Construction Subscription & Infraworks
Windows 10 Professional, x64, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: nkg2

Hi,

>> Each time a report was generated and sent to Microsoft

To Microsoft or to Autodesk? If Microsoft than I guess it must not have to do anything with AutoCAD-Map3D at least.

Most important: do you have any message-text or number for that error/exception?

>> The only thing new to my computer today

Does that mean that before today all was doing well with Map3D 2014?

>> [...] installation of a new AVG antivirus software.   Other than that, I thoroughly cleaned it [...]

If the computer is in idle state (as you wrote you did no work in Map3D when crashing) and you have installed a new antivirus-sw it's highly possible that it does it's first scans to store checksums of applications, check your existing files for virus and so on.

And if that results in high CPU-temperature there might be a problem with heat, maybe a combination of heat + memory (as Map3D uses more memory than most "normal" software on workstations)

Take a look to your taskmanager: what process is using most of your kernels when Map3D is in idle state before it crashes.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 13
nkg2
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

Hi,

>> Each time a report was generated and sent to Microsoft

To Microsoft or to Autodesk? If Microsoft than I guess it must not have to do anything with AutoCAD-Map3D at least.

Most important: do you have any message-text or number for that error/exception?

>>I actually had Map3d crash 4 times last night on me.  One was with an Autodesk issue and a report generated and sent to Autodesk with CER.  The other three times was a Microsoft report and no detail report with it.  My first inclination is that it is a DEP error like we used to see but I could not tell and no other web page opened up saying I needed to upgrade this or that.  The report took about 20 minutes to prepare and submit.  During the times, Microsoft said it had to close Map3d because the program stopped working.   It stopped working because I stopped working.  If I went to the bathroom, I would come back and it would have this error and have to restart the program.  I did restart the computer and that had no effect. 

>> The only thing new to my computer today

Does that mean that before today all was doing well with Map3D 2014?

>>okay you got me there, honestly I did not try it in depth as I was last night.

>> [...] installation of a new AVG antivirus software.   Other than that, I thoroughly cleaned it [...]

If the computer is in idle state (as you wrote you did no work in Map3D when crashing) and you have installed a new antivirus-sw it's highly possible that it does it's first scans to store checksums of applications, check your existing files for virus and so on.

And if that results in high CPU-temperature there might be a problem with heat, maybe a combination of heat + memory (as Map3D uses more memory than most "normal" software on workstations)

>>yeah I made a segway comment about Infraworks but I had not experienced high temps in Map3d yet as I had not included my four adf files and upteen million GeoTIFFS.   When I was working on the Infraworks on Sunday I noticed my computer was a little dirty so I was just making the point that I had checked out my hardware and cleaned it up to help rule out potential hardware issues.  The computer is probably almost a year old.    

Take a look to your taskmanager: what process is using most of your kernels when Map3D is in idle state before it crashes.

>>I will check on it tonight as that would be interesting but I could not duplicate it yesterday on another computer that is actually older than this one.   The one that crashed has less processes than the older computer as I am not running as much on the newer one (no mail, quickbooks, etc.) and the older computer has less ram.  I was sort of venting my frustration but also trying to see if there was someone else out there running into idling issues with no error report. 

- alfred -

Autodesk 2022- Architectural, Engineering and Construction Subscription & Infraworks
Message 4 of 13
nkg2

I guess it was just a fluke as I am not getting it to crash anymore while idling.   I am however experiencing crashing when I load multilpe TIFFs.  Happened on two computers.  Not sure why it is happening but this time it is a Map3d issue as I have had to submit CER reports.   I will keep hacking away and restarting.  Save much and save often..:-(

Message 5 of 13
nkg2

I got frustrated and went away for a few days with the software and had other things to do as well but today I updated windows after I crashed yet again (MS caused Autocad to crash).  I went back to Microsoft to update from 5/10 till today and noticed 14 new updates available.  Two of them are updates to .NET framework 4.5 and one is for 3.5.1   Needless to say, it worked and I have stopped crashing.  So MS was the culprit and glad they got it fixed.  

Message 6 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA

Thank you very much for your feedback!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 13
dipalikasunde3

Hi,

I am having similar issue with Map 3D 2014. I  tried updating windows, but it did not resolve the application crashing problem. Note - My computer has a previous version (2013) map 3D installed .

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Message 8 of 13

Hi,

>> I  tried updating windows, but it did not resolve the application crashing problem.

the solution was to uninstall the updates back to May 10, 2013, not to install them.

Have you tried to uninstall them or set your system back to a state when it was running? Or did 2014 never start on your system (then this should be a new thread, it is not the same situation that was handled here).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 13
nkg2

Unfortunately Windows is back on my machine crashing AutoCAD Map 3d again.  I did a check for new updates.  I am not sure what is going on as last week I had Map 3d on for days with hours of inactivity.  Tonight, I go 5 minutes and Window's causes it to crash.  Sending reports take just as long.  I am assuming that MS will come out with a new fix.  I am using Win 7 Pro.  

Message 10 of 13
fieldguy

Do you have Autodesk 360 running?

Message 11 of 13
nkg2

Yes I do.  Do I use it, sort of but not too much.   I do have issue that it gobbles almost as much ram as MS Exchange.   Dropbox, which I would equate to 360 in some regards, runs at 1/3 of the memory that 360 does.   Very disappointing in that respect.  

Message 12 of 13
fieldguy

The reason I asked is because I upgraded to the 2014 infrastructure design suite last Wednesday and 360 came along with it.  I had several freezes Thurs & Fri, so today (Monday) I tried opening everything (2 browsers, outlook, acad with a large file, etc.) and let it sit.  It froze after 5 or 10 minutes.  By freeze I mean the power button was the only option available.

I uninstalled 360 and Map 3D 2014 64 bit has been fine - no freezes.  360 is a cool concept but perhaps it is not ready for prime time?

Message 13 of 13
nkg2

Fortunately for me, this was not the case.  If I let the program go idle for say 3-5 minutes without doing a command, I would get Autodesk had an unsuspected problem and had to be shut down.  This was on MS side not autodesk side.   After there was a .NET 4.5 hotfix issued by MS, my problems seemed to have simmered down then it started back up again.   I have not dived into it full force yet since I have had to move on to other things but I do need to see if my IT consultants recently made changes (i.e. uninstall the hotfixes) that may have caused the problems to resurface.  I agree that 360 looks sweet and not sure totally about the whole cloud credit thing but will see.  As subcription member, you get like a 100 credits.  Not sure what that gets you at this point.  Again though system resources are just ate up by 360.  I like to watch what I seeing and doing on my computer especially since I will play with large adf files which if I run Infraworks (if you have not tried it yet it is great) will max out my quad xeons for about 20 minutes and sometimes trip the temp alarm.   But go to addgagets.com and get the latest CPU monitor (4.7 as of last week) and you can see your ram and page memory as well as your core usage and temperatures.   Pretty handy tool.   I am using Win 7 Pro so not sure if addgagets will work for 8 if you are using 8.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost