AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Map 5 to Shapefiles

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
285 Views, 3 Replies

AutoCAD Map 5 to Shapefiles

I have been using AutoCAD Map for several years. I build municipal maps and have had success exporting maps to ArcView shapefiles, but can't seem to create the link to the database in ArcView. Is it possible to create the link in Map and export it? Or does this need to be done in some ArcView program? I have farmed out this work to other firms with success, but I'm interested now in doing it myself. How do I create the link in AutoCAD Map 5.0 and export it to ArcView Shapefiles? Thank you for your help.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If your data is being stored as object data within Map then it is easy to export that to a shapefile. Now it has been awhile since I have done it in 5, I am currently running 2004. In 2004, you go to the data tab in the export dialog and click on select attributes. From there you select the properties and data you want to select for export. These are then carried over into the Shapefiles dbf. If you are regularly exporting to ESRI formats, I would recommend getting a copy of ArcView software just to verify your export. -- Tripp Corbin, MCP Associate Vice President, GIS/Mapping ESRI Introduction to ArcGIS Authorized Instructor Keck & Wood, Inc. www.keckwood.com 678.417.4013 678.417.8785 fax "russellgraphics" wrote in message news:29678487.1097587245390.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have been using AutoCAD Map for several years. I build municipal maps and have had success exporting maps to ArcView shapefiles, but can't seem to create the link to the database in ArcView. Is it possible to create the link in Map and export it? Or does this need to be done in some ArcView program? I have farmed out this work to other firms with success, but I'm interested now in doing it myself. How do I create the link in AutoCAD Map 5.0 and export it to ArcView Shapefiles? Thank you for your help.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Instead of purchasing Arcview you can download a free shp viewer from DDTI.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Thank you for your help. I have ArcView 3.2a to check my exports. I have a few more questions please. I need to know how I attach object data to the polygons in Map. Do I need to attach the data one by one (for each polygon)? Can I do this by generating links on the Map menu? Thanks again for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost