AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Map 3D 2015 Requirement for Sharing Data - MAPTOACAD

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
gluckett
848 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD Map 3D 2015 Requirement for Sharing Data - MAPTOACAD

In AutoCAD Map 3D 2015, in Display Manager, under Maps > Save As AutoCAD Drawing (command line: MAPTOACAD)

We need to keep the attributes (XDATA is currently useless because it is not in EED format - if it was, we couild then convert back to object data using ADECONVERT on the command line),  

The DATA should be stored in OBJECT DATA at the very least!

MAP3D2015_WISHLIST_OBJECTDATA.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: gluckett

Hi,

>> The DATA should be stored in OBJECT DATA at the very least!

The function you call is to convert a Map/GIS-Data and display representation for use with (plain) AutoCAD ... and plain AutoCAD does not understand object data!

If you want to convert GIS data from FDO connections to AutoCAD entities with object data you will have to use command _MAPIMPORT.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9
gluckett
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

True, but if I maintain a very complex maps (300+ layers) with data from SDF, SHP, ORACLE SPATIAL and SQL SERVER SPATIAL,

and I want to share "off-line" with 3rd party people, a simple Object Data or, at least, EED friendly XData would be way better than massive translations one layer at a time.

(or of course I would by the only tool for the job would be Safe Software's FME)

This brings up another problem with FDO layers.  When I generate an DWF, the URLS and DATA are not stored as "Properties" from the FDO Layers.

So the bottom line,  FDO Map to DWG Map (even with dumb AutoCAD )  we need a way to harvest the Attribute data from FDO - and not one layer at a time using MAPIMPORT etc - for 300+ layers... it is not really Scalable as is and the Export to DWG with attributes is a tiny first step in the right direction.

Simple round tripping from FDO to Object Data to FDO really is a no-brainer in the product, but it's not there.

Message 4 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Simple round tripping from FDO to Object Data to FDO really is a no-brainer in the product, but it's not there.

I can understand that, but at least the way back to FDO is not "simple".

Imagine you have a FDO-polygon displayed, so it's one object in your datasource ==> resulting in an outline (one ore more), a hatch (one or more), a label (symbol + text) in the DWG file.

So to return the DWG data to FDO means you have an outline-polyline, island-polylines (maybe multiple objects for each because you needed multicolored outlines), then you have a hatch (or more for complex hatches), a label ... at least a lot of geometry objects to go back to FDO and there into one object ==> that is more than returning object data as in the DWG (currently) there is no topolgy built up from FDO objects and so no "leading" object to send to FDO from the mass of display geometry existing in the DWG.

Again, I can understand that very well, but there are some obstacles within your "simple round trip" 😉

As every wish you can place it >>>there<<< and hope for future releases!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 9
braudpat

Hello from France

As a very old user of ACAD : since 1984/1985 with ACAD 1.4/2.0

and of MAP : since ADE Module on ACAD R12, then MAP R1 on ACAD 2013, etc

I have been consulted (several years) for MAP 201X about my wishes !

And I asked for :

- a MAPTOACAD which could export everything into Object Datas

- a Grid View (Select, Export, Filter, etc) on Object Datas similar the to the Grid View for FDO attributes tables

- many other wishes ... See below ...

---> and NOTHING ...

... If Autodesk could implement and correct a few features into MAP, it would be a NICE product !!!

Because today we have to use MAP + QGIS and/or MapInfo and/or ArcMap and/or etc ...

Just for FUN please see below my "GOOD OLD" MAP 201X wishlist >>>

****** Improvements (or Bug Correction) on existing Features for MAP 201X ******

01) --- MPOLYGON --- Bugs / Limitations ---

01A - Add a feature Hatch Lineweight
01B - The Display of the Middle Grips is not correct (compare to PLine)
01C - Be able to autogenerate Links (UDL) to Tables with MPOLYGONs (It works only with closed PLine)

02) --- MAPIMPORT (Polygone/Surface Geometry)  ---

We have an option to import all entities as MPOLYGON or as PLINE - Please keep it !
Very often we have a few MPolygon in the layer but ALL are MPolygon after MAPIMPORT ...
(or every geometries are closed PLines after MAPIMPORT)
Please offer a NEW option : Create MPOLYGON only if necessary
So most often we get a few MPolygons and many closed PLines ...

03) --- MAPEXPORT --- MAPINFO Format ---

Please could you set the correct MapInfo settings relative to system coordinates
when doing a MAPEXPORT with the TAB and the MIF-MID format ...

04) --- ATLAS --- BUG with Scale + Polygonal VPort ---

Please correct the beautiful BUG on the scale which is FALSE asap with we have a % overlay/overlap  
Please add the possibilty to have a polygonal vport (not ony rectangular) for the main vport

****** NEW Features ******

01) --- Object Data General and EDIT ---

01A - Be able to rename an OD field/column
01B - Be able to reorganize the order of fields/columns (up/down)
01C - Please a function like Search and Replace ODs
01D - Add Prefix or Suffix on alphanumeric ODs
01E - Add or Multiply by a value for numeric ODs

02) --- Object Data &colon; Select, Query, Update, etc --- in the CURRENT drawing ---

Be able to see OD as a Grid (idem the Attributes Tables with FDO)
Select, Query, Update, Export as CSV, etc
With options : auto-select, auto-zoom, etc

Be able to use a QSELECT on OD or something equivalent ...

03) --- MAPCLEAN ---

We have "Cut at intersection" of lines, plines, etc
Please I would like a NEW option : "Cut at Block"
So for each Block selected which is ON a line, pline, etc : the line, pline, etc will be CUT at the Insert Point of the Block
Please keep XDATAs and ODs on each part of the line, pline, etc ...

04) --- Drawings Group ---

Be able to use Query with Properties Updates and Reports INTO the Current Drawing
Very important : it's too slow to use a New DWG and then we have to associate THE drawing and then execute many Queries ...
Then Save the DWG, Quit, Reload, etc

05) --- FDO Gis Overlay ---

05A) We have Lines intersected (or other operations) by Polygons
But I need : Polygons intersected (or other operations) by Lines

06) --- In the past, MAP 2005/2006 have some features of CIVIL : points, surfaces, etc ---

In MAP, I need to be able to manage points (External CSV Points or ACAD points or ACAD blocks)
to generate a 3D Surface (3D TIN - maybe explode it to get many 3DFaces), generate 2D Plines at Z/Elevation, and colorize 3DFaces depending on the Z/Altitude or the Slope, etc
--- It's THE MINIMUM for a GIS Software ---
I don't speak about Profiles and all other high levels features of CIVIL ...  

07) --- TIF+TFW, ECW, JPG+JGW on a 3D Surface (3D TIN) ---

Be able to use this kind of images on 3D Surface with 3DOrbit, etc
AND please a GOOD quality when printing the 3D Drawing + Images
In the past your OLD ENVISION product was doing this job nicely !

08) --- Google Earth Plugin ---

It's a MUST for me because we are speaking of a GIS Software
For example you could implement only MAPIMPORTKML/KMZ and MAPEXPORTKML/KMZ
with the possibility to IMPORT/EXPORT attributes NOT ONLY Geometries !

09) --- FDO Printing with Raster ---

Please could you IMPROVE the quality of the FDO printing especially when we have Raster Images !!

10) --- FDO Clipping with Raster ---

Please could you implement the clipping of FDO Raster (idem that we have with standard Raster File)

11) --- Export FDO Map to DWG ---

Please add a NEW option to export FDO attributes as Object Data of MAP (or CIVIL)
The option to export the FeatureId of the FDO Layer as XDATA is usable only by programmers ...

12) --- FDO Geometry + FDO Raster + DWG Layer + DWG Raster + etc : BUG !? or Improvement !? ---

For me, there is a major bug when we mix FDO, FDO Raster, DWG, Raster DWG, PDF, DWF, etc
The bug is related to the display/printing priority which is NOT STABLE !
Could you propose something easy to use and manage ?

13) --- FDO : Add more options to control the display (or NOT) of FDO Labels ---

13A) Always Display (Yes/No) - Very important: it's my problem if I have many many labels/texts ...
13B) Display (Yes/No) if no overlay/overlap with an other label/text
13C) Display (Yes/No) if no overlay/overlap with a geometry (line, polygon). I speak about the vector graphic not the hatch
13D) Display (Yes/No) if no overlay/overlap with a hatch (coming from a polygon).

Something relative to 13B/13C/13D wish : be able to give a Radius to find somewhere a "free" seat for the text/label if possible !

14) --- Linking Polylines to DataBase ---

An easy way, to link automatically (UDL, etc) many PLines with ODs (with a FeatureId field/column) to a existing Table (with the "same" FeatureId field/column)

15) --- FDO Driver for DWF with attributes --- Read Only Mode ---

Because with a high precision DWF (+ attributes), we could use it as a FDO Layer  ( no action on stylisation but I need the Labels ! )

So NO USE of a DWG !

16) --- FDO Attributes : EDIT ---

16A - Please a function like Search and Replace Attributes
16B - Add Prefix or Suffix on alphanumeric Attributes
16C - Add or Multiply by a value for numeric Attributes

17) --- FDO General --- Read-Only Option (Yes/No) = Security ---

For Geometry FDO Driver : SDF3, SHP, Oracle, PostGIS, SQL Server Spatial, SQLite, ODBC, etc
Please add an option into the connect FDO dialog box (when we see all available layers)
Read-Only (Yes/No) - Default = No

18) --- MAP ODs with AutoCAD Fields ---

The "Insert Field / Object"  Feature of AutoCAD (coming with AutoCAD 2005/2006) can't see the ODs of MAP
I will appreciate tu use ACAD Fileds with my ODs ...

19) --- Break / Trim / etc ---

These ACAD commands erase the ODs !
For example, if I break a Pline with ODs, only the first part of the PLine will keep the original ODs !

I am sure that I have forgotten many things, Sorry ...

<<<

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
gluckett
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

This round tripping was done extremely well with the AutoCAD Map circa 2000 with the Oracle Spatial Extension. Command line: MAPOSEADMIN.

This was a simple mapping of Layer/Object Data/Link Templates/Blocks to associated tables in Oracle.

For the user they simply READ/WRITE their native AutoCAD objects directly into Oracle and out of Oracle - it was simple and extremely effective (very little training needed since the users just needed to know AutoCAD and a little about Object Data).
This is a really great starting point for understanding the FDO round tripping (unfortunately it only worked for Oracle and was not moved into 64bit very well - although I still have some users using it in AutoCAD Map 3D 2014)

This could be a great place to see how CAD to GIS was done correctly and would make the FDO to AutoCAD Map chasm not as far as its been over the years.
Message 7 of 9
braudpat

Hello

THKS for the Kudos !

Unfortunately my Wish List is in fact a Dream List !!! ... I had a Dream ...

I agree with you : I have used with satisfaction in the past the Oracle MAPOSExxxx commands/functions ...

Good Luck ...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
Murph_Map
in reply to: braudpat

As long as we on wish list items how about the one that's been out there from the beginning of Object Data, a table view of all OD in a OB table? A 3rd party did it so why not in AutoCAD Map 3D?  

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 9 of 9
gluckett

These are all fantastic fixes for the product. Image how awesome it would be if only 10% were done.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost