AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Map 3D 2013 freezes

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
kconn85
1280 Views, 15 Replies

AutoCAD Map 3D 2013 freezes

I would email Tech support directly over this, But they make it very hard to find a tech support email. So maybe someone from tech support will read this and will contact me to resolve this problem. 

My AutoCAD Map 3D 2013, freezes when I try to attach drawings to a file using map drafting. 

I'll going ....Map Drafting-Drawings-Define/Modify drawing set.

When I "attach" my files. The program freezes, and goes (Not Responding) The freeze happened when I hit the "OK" button after I've selected the files I want to attach.

IfIletitsit, afterabout5-6minutes, itwillfinallyattachthedrawings

But when I hit the "OK" button to close the dialog box after attaching the files. It freezes again and goes (Not Responding). If I let it sit, after 5-6 minutes or so, it will close the dialog box. 

Then when I got to....Map Drafting-Query-Define Query, and try to define the location, AutoCAD freezes again.

When I attempt to define the location, it freezes, and will go (Not Responding), Again, if I let it sit, After 5-6 minutes it will define the location. When I go to "Execute Query," AutoCAD freezes once again. 

When I attempt to "Detach" the files, AutCAD freezes again, and will go (Not Responding), But if I let it sit, after 5-6 minutes, AutoCAD starts to respond, but it doesn't detach the files. I've tried numerous times, but the only way I can get the files to detach from my drawing. Is to go into my server folder where I keep the files, and delete that (.DWK) lock file. I have yet to have a fatal crash, where it forces me completely out of AtuoCAD, it just goes (Not Responding) at every turn. And can take me 30mins+ just to query in a hand full of files. 

I'm using service pack 2.1 and it says my AutoCAD is fully up-to-date and I'm running Windows 7 x64

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Murph_Map
in reply to: kconn85

Try to open the dwg you are trying to attach and run  _purge, aduit and recovery on it. After that try to attach a different dwg into the project (after you back it up) or try attaching the dwg to a new blank dwg.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 16
braudpat
in reply to: Murph_Map

Hello

+1 with Murph

You have patched your MAP 2013 with the SP 2.1 ?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21949876&linkID=9240858

Have you the same problem before ?

- with MAP 2013

- with MAP 2013 + SP 1

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 16
antoniovinci

I'd bet it's a network issue, so bring all stuff locally, unplug the Ethernet cable and try again.

Message 5 of 16
kconn85

Murph,

So I tried your suggestion, But there was nothing to purge and no error to fix. I did notice, that when I try to attach just a single file, it doesn't freeze for as long. I was trying to query in 6 drawings before. I've tried several different files, and all are the same.

braudpat,

Yes, I'm currently using SP2.1

I recently starting using 2013. I've been using version 2010 before. Which was on Windows XP. Never had any problems. But now I'm working with a whole new version and whole new operating system. 

antoniovinci,

It may not be completely a network thing. I sourced the files locally, And while it doesn't seem to freeze when I attach the files. It still freezes when I attempt to query in the files. After a few minutes AutoCAD starts to respond again. So it does seem to help a little, but AutoCAD still freezes (Not Responding) when I use these commands. 

I also tried importing some shape files, there's a little freezing with that too, but not as much as the other command.

I can _xref fine. Attaching files that way from my server doesn't produce any lag. 

Message 6 of 16
braudpat

Hello from France

Have you tried to RECOVER all files used into the Map Drawings Group and Re-Save them before attacing them and querying them again ?

Dammaged DWG can produce strange results !

Good Luck, Bye, Pat

If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
Murph_Map

Posting your OS, Ram, and other specs may help get to the bottom or rule out your setup. Are the dwgs on a network or local drive?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 8 of 16
antoniovinci

kconn85 wrote:

It may not be completely a network thing

Are you really sure you unplugged the Ethernet cable as I advised above..?

Message 9 of 16
kconn85

antoniovinci,

Yes, Like I said it helped a little. But still has a problem when I "execute query."

But you maybe half right. For amusement, I moved the files to a different directory on our server. Our server is broken up into different drives. So I moved the files to a different drive, and sure enough, I had no problems attaching and querying the files. So it has something to do with my specific GIS drive on the server.  The actual hard drive or the connection to it. It might be a setting on our virus protection or something, I don't know at this point. We

are a small company, so we don't really have an I.T. Department. We just maintain our own. But I have a talk with a co-worker who knows more about the server than me. 

computer specs-

Intel Xeon 2.40GHz duel core

MOBO, Dell 09kpnv with a intel x58 chipset

12g of DDR3 533MHz triple channel

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 - 256MB

Samsung 840 SSD

Windows 7 x64 

The computer was a base model Dell T3500 and we upgraded it to windows 7, installed 8 more gigs of memeory and added SSD's.

Message 10 of 16
antoniovinci

If your co-worker fails, I could try to debug the network issue thru a Teamviewer session: good luck, sir.

Message 11 of 16
braudpat
in reply to: antoniovinci

Hello

In both locations on your server, can you create for example a TXT file, modify it and re-save it ?

In both locations, have you "Total Control" on folders & files ?

On your Server (both locations) & on your PC, have you checked that .DWG, .DWL, .DWK, .BAK, etc (any files created/modified by ACAD) are not checked/tracked by the Anti-virus ?

It could sometimes dramatically slow down the Input/Output File Process ... 

Bye, Pat

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
kconn85

Ok, problem solved. Looks like it was our anti-virus program that was causing the freezing. We just tweaked the settings, and now I can attach the files with no problem.

Thanks for the help guys. 

Message 13 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> We just tweaked the settings

Thank you for your feedback and great you could solve it.

For the future readers: can you give us more details like what antivirus software do you use and what settings did you change?

Thx, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 14 of 16
braudpat
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hello Alfred

You are curious ?

<Humour ON>

The tweaks are : For CIA & NSA process, please stop to check/track ACAD files on the Server !

<Humour OFF>

Bye, Pat

PS for kconn85 : please mark as solved your topic !

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
kconn85

@Alfred,

Yes, of course. In short, we added (.dwg) files to our virus protection programs exclusion list. 

We are using Trend Micro security agent. This program has a problem (.dwg) files sometimes. Often causes some lag. So we excluded (.dwg) files from its scans. We've had to do this on other drives, but we never did it for our GIS drive. We had some problems even trying to save (.dwg) files to our server. I had to save them locally, and then cut and paste them onto our server. We're probably going to look for another security program in the future, but for now, the exclusion list works. We don't ever send or received (.dwg) files often. So when we do get them in, we just have to scan them manually before saving them to the server. But with the files added to the exclusion list, we have no problem attaching (.dwg) files now. 

Message 16 of 16
braudpat

Hello

The problem can be with : DWG, BAK, DWL, DWK

and I hope that you have redirected ALL temporary files (Main DWG + XREFs) to a Local Folder ???

Bye, Pat

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost