AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 will not plot raster images

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
cdunn1222
3313 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 will not plot raster images

We frequently create PDF files using the DWGtoPDF.pc3 .   We have a lot of drawings with a raster background image.  In version 2010 I could create a PDF and the raster image would show up.  We recently upgraded to Map 3D 2012 and although the raster shows up in the preview, it does NOT get plotted to the PDF.  Help!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
antoniovinci
in reply to: cdunn1222

Try to plot to a virtual PDF printer, like the free CutePDF Writer: any changes?

Message 3 of 11
cdunn1222
in reply to: antoniovinci

At work, where I use the AutoCAD Map 3D 2012, I also have Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard and tried to plot to that installed printer.  Same result..... no raster image in the resulting PDF.

I copied the DWG file and the Raster image and took them home with me.  I have regular AutoCAD 2012 at home (yes, it's licensed and I also bought the Subsciption for the software). After copying the files to my C: drive and opened the DWG, I went to File, Plot and used the DWGtoPDF.pc3 in my regular AutoCAD 2012.  The PDF came out perfect, vectors and raster images all showed up.

The has to be something "weird" in AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 that keeps it from capturing the raster data.

The DWG is about 6.5 Meg and the image file (jpg) is about 3.5 Meg

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Cary Dunn

Message 4 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

copy your "DWG to PDF.pc3"-file from your home pc and overwrite the one in your office pc. There are sometimes defect pc3-files (for PDF creation). Or try to copy your pc3 file from your 2010-version.

IMHO the Adobe PDF-Printer is not the best option for creating PDF's from AutoCAD is it's consuming a lot of memory, especially if you think about plotting raster-images + a file size of 6mB the memory may be an additional source of problem if you are running in 32bit mode. My best experiance is PDFCreator or the internal pc3-file (for 2012!).

Also verify that you disabled "transparency" in your plot-dialog if you don't need it.

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 11
cdunn1222
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I already tried copying the DWGtoPDF.pc3 file from Map 3D 2010 to the 2012 version.  It didn't work.  I got exception errors and such when I launched the plot.

I'll copy the pc3 file from my home computer and bring it in tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

Today I'm also going to download the Service Pack 1 for 2012 and install it and see if that helps.

Thanks for you advice

Cary Dunn

Message 6 of 11
Mark_Castle

I have been having the same issue, and the above post mentioning that the plot worked correctly in plain AutoCAD caught my attention. I exited out of Civil 3D and restarted using the start menu item "AutoCAD Civil 3D as AutoCAD". I resent the plot and it worked perfectly. Smiley Happy I guess the extra ovehead that is loaded with full Civil 3D was interferring somehow.

Mark Castle
Win 10 64-Bit, Thinkpad P50
16 GB RAM; Core i7-6820HQ; Quadro M1000M
Message 7 of 11
wydinya

When plotting to PDF - with PDF in plotter name - go Properties
In device and documents setting tab - select "raster graphics".
You will see two slider bars slide the "raster and shaded/render viewports" down to about half. Then save as a .PC3 file as you leave.
On some drawings you may have to slide it a bit lower to get it to print the PDF.
Then you can just pick the PDF.PC3 file from your plotters to get this setting again in the future.
Hope it helps - it has helped me on many drawings.

Message 8 of 11
braudpat
in reply to: wydinya

Hello

Which version exactly : 32 or 64 bits ?

And how much memory on your PC ?

Which Windows ?

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
cjneper

I plot a lot of raster image backgrounds, and do see this issue occasionally.  In my experiences it is a memory issue.  Map 2010 was better than 2012 with memory capabilities.  In fact, 2010 was in my opinion the final release that is useable on a 32 bit system.  Anything newer requires 64 bit to be able to do anything.  As someone stated, reducing the resolution of the PDF file sometimes helps.  Otherwise, I recommend jumping to 2014 and 64 bit if you can.  That version finally resolved the ongoing 64 bit issues, and obviously works better with big data files.

Message 10 of 11
wydinya

I work for a large miing company and the computer system that I use is old Dell optiplex 780 and only 4 ram and running on XP trying to run the latest autodesk version 32 bit. We run pdf995 to convert the drawings. This is why I need to reduce the raster grapics to get the PDF to show up. 

Message 11 of 11
braudpat
in reply to: wydinya

Hello

At each version, the task "ACAD.exe" is "bigger" but it's normal !

For example with SDI = 1 & with ONE blank DWG open ...

The 32 bits Task MAP 2010 uses about 240 Mb

The 32 bits Task MAP 2014 uses about 330 Mb

Each new version uses about 20-40 Mb MORE compared to previous version !

Of course in the GIS environment, you must be with Win Seven 64 and MAP 201X 64 bits

and 8/12/16 Mb Ram depending on the size of yours documents ...

Bye, pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost