AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

attempting to cancel sheet

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
10563 Views, 16 Replies

attempting to cancel sheet

I have a customer that is having a problem with plotting. Anytime he hits plot wether its from model space or paper space, as soon as you hit plot it pops up a status bar that says attempting to cancel sheet. Now when I create a new layout it will plot fine. However when he takes the same drawing to another machine the drawing plots fine. It happens in multiple drawings. If I create a new dwg. and plot, does it fine. Can't seem to find an answer as to why it is doing this. Any ideas? Help!
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
curtstl
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you ever find an answer for this problem?
I've been having the same problem on certain drawings and haven't found a fix yet.
Any help would be appreciated
Message 3 of 17
sean.hetrick

I am experiencing a similar problem. I am using a Quad-core Intel CPU based Dell XPS running Windows Vista Business and AutoCAD Map 3D 2009 plotting to an HP DesignJet T1100ps. Almost all the time everything works just fine, but I have one map that consistently seems to give me problems. It has a 300 meg bitmap attached to it, and I can almost never get it to print correctly, either to paper or PDF.

When I plot AutoCAD acts like everything is working just fine, but just before it returns control to me, after the plotting status dialog box closes, another dialog box pops up for just a second or two and says, "Attempting to cancel plot: Layout 1". The plot will come out just fine in every respect, except that the bitmap doesn't print.

I converted the .bmp file to .png, which is now 22 megs, but nothing has changed. I've audited the drawing just for good measure, but no errors are ever found. I've even tried pushing the title block into modelspace and plotting from there, but no difference.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sean Hetrick
Message 4 of 17
ryansteele

Try switching between "Plot in background" and not plotting in background.

Also if you use TIFF files, save them with LZW compression, it seems to work better. Autocad doesn't like the bog standard TIFF files anymore either.

Autocad 2009 has ruined plotting drawings that worked perfectly in 2008. Another great reason to ugprade.
Message 5 of 17
courtneyc03

I am having the exact same problem. My files are .sid and do plot out as pdf files but when I try printing to our Ricoh 4500 printer I get the "attempting to cancel sheet" message. I have tried the "plot in background" and not plotting in background with no luck. Any other suggestions?
Message 6 of 17
rmacan

I get the message occasionally, and it always involves having lots of imagery on active layers in my Map and/or drawing.
What I have done that seems to work is shut down everything, reboot the computer, open MAP and the drawing file, then try it again with no other software opened. It then prints OK for me in most circumstances.
Most likely, you have exhausted the available memory from having your internet browser opened, MS Access and Outlook on, music playing, etc....if it still doesn't work, convert the large images to jpg or a more compressed format in Irfanview or similar free image utility, copy and rename the world file to the appropriate extension.
Message 7 of 17
aaron

I have found a resolve for myself.
When printing 11x17s to our Color Lanier using the Windows print driver (not a .Pc3 driver) it would always cancel the plot. File output was HUGE!!!

What I did was (now try to follow me) set up the printer as a .Pc3 file but under "Properties" and in the "Device and Document Settings" I changed the "Raster Graphics" settings under "Graphics." I moved the "Raster and Shade/Rendered Viewports" and "OLE" glider to the center (initially set to "Best").

I found that the output size was a lot smaller and the files would print with no errors. Even prints with .sid attached and other images would print. The downside is that images other than aerials weren't as crisp. But they were only small logos.

I have set up .Pc3 drivers for all out print/plot output including PDFs. File sizes are significantly smaller and more manageable.

I hope this helps - at least one person.
Message 8 of 17
sean.hetrick

Excellent work! You did indeed help at least one person with this information.

As it turns out I started running into this problem even when trying to print 8.5"x11" drawings to our Konica-Minolta bizhub C451, something I hadn't done at the time of my original post. I tried your suggestions, and like magic, all works well now.

For my purposes however, setting both sliders to the middle reduced the quality of the raster image to such an extent that it was unusable. After playing around with the sliders for a while and running a dozen or more prints, I discovered that all I needed to do was back the "OLE" slider off a single notch and it worked, and also maintained the high level of quality I require. Backing off the "Raster and Share/Rendered Viewports" a single notch however didn't have the same result. In any event I am now able to leave one of the sliders at the "Best" setting and the other just slightly below "Best" and things work just fine.

Thanks so much for your suggestion!

Sean Hetrick
Message 9 of 17
ryansteele

If you still want best prints you can, I've found its a memory problem (2009 is a ridiculous memory hog), quit out of autocad entirely and restart it with ONLY the drawing you want to print open.

Merely closing other drawings open in the current session of Autocad won't do it, it just doesn't release the memory for use.

I've found that method has allowed me to print as usual.
Message 10 of 17
aaron

I'm glad it worked. With .sid images attached we never had issues with quality. But our jpeg and tif images were not as crisp. I've been able to make adjustments so everything looks better and I'm still able to print. It has also shrunk the file size to my PDFs.

But I've got other PDF problems that I will be starting a new thread for help.
Message 11 of 17
aaron

I understand what you're saying. However in my case I have a 3 county project with 92 sheets all in one drawing - and aerials for all the counties. This dwg is a monster. I have to revert back to 2008 when publishing more than 4 drawings at a time. 2009 gets me swearing every day.
Message 12 of 17
ryansteele

I do the same sort of work for local councils, and find the same problems continually with 2009. I end up plotting from 2008 on my laptop which has LESS ram.

It needs a drastic de-bloating diet, Autodesk simply can't keep adding memory hogging features. Concentrate on fixing bugs and improving memory performance instead of shoveling out untested crap!
Message 13 of 17
steve-dude

This was a good find for me. It's actually the first time I've searched and found an answer with Autodesk! I've been banging my head on the desk for hours tonight. Of course I don't like the answer, but at least I found it. CAD is no longer capable of producing quality plots because you all asked for a ribbon and wanted you xref command to stay open indefinitly. So lower your quality expectations or try a different program. WEAK!
Message 14 of 17
Spiveydave

DUDE!
Seriously, I've been looking all over the wide wide world of web to find an answer to my annoying OLE object not printing question for years, and finally, someone has given me the right answer! Sliding that slider down just one notch was enough to allow me to print off my Word Document (imported as an OLE) with coherent reading capabilities and not skewed image. I don't know how to thank you. Honestly, I've been asking drafters all across North America and no one could give me an answer, cause they didn't know. They all had the same problem. Now I know! Bow down before my superior knowledge! Except you of course...
Thanks again man!
Message 15 of 17
Projectmax1

"It needs a drastic de-bloating diet, Autodesk simply can't keep adding memory hogging features. Concentrate on fixing bugs and improving memory performance instead of shoveling out untested crap!"

...My thoughts EXACTLY.
Message 16 of 17
geraldkpimentel
in reply to: rmacan

i have 32gb ram, i7 cpu . I dont know why its like this 

Message 17 of 17
geraldkpimentel

i just retart my computer then it works fine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost