AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arcview broken arcs to true arc

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
MetroVancouverDrafting
533 Views, 10 Replies

Arcview broken arcs to true arc

When importing Shape files from Arcview/ArMap to Autocad you will find that all yor arcs were converted to the series of lines.

Now the question is how to convert them back to the true arc.

I wrote some lisp to address it, but you have to do a lot af manual work before use it and it is sooooow

The lisp is inside of the cad file, just copy/paste to command line.

I will stuck after about 5 min, just kill it Ctrl+Breack or Esc.

is anybody has a better solution, cause mine is not solution at all. If I'll start to improve it and analyse dipper it'll get even slower.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Since the shapefile format does NOT support arcs, you'd simply _MAPCLEAN your drawing - see the attached .DWG based on your data.

Message 3 of 11

Thanks for reply

Now, how do you convert an polyline in cul-de-sac, that used to be an arc, back to arc?

Message 4 of 11

why do you need the arcs?  the polyline endponts define the arc.  set of points equidistant from a point.  on the ground you will locate the points to define the arc.  is it for good looks on the screen?

dave

Message 5 of 11

Why do I need the arcs? 

Well, let me see, I am a small lines chauvinist. I hate these lines, they are short and ugly too. They are so small, that you can't really see them when they are alone. But as they get together they think they are important, they pretend to be the ARC.

sorry

Message 6 of 11

Hi,

if you want to have ARCs in AutoCAD, you will have to use another fileformat for dataexchange between ArxXXX and AutoCAD.

What about DXF, have you tried it?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 11

Unfortunately I don’t have any other data, just a shape file, that why im trying to fix it in Autocad.

Message 8 of 11

Hi,

>> Unfortunately I don’t have any other data

Ok, but you have ArcView or ArcGIS, thinking that because of your first message:

>> When importing Shape files from Arcview/ArMap

So what happens if you open the SHP in ArcGIS ... do you really have arcs there?

If so (what I don't beleive, but am interested in that) you can try to export it as DXF and open the DXF in AutoCAD then.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 11

You are right, I do have ArcGis but the datafile is a Shape. So even if it open it ArcMap it is still segments

Message 10 of 11

Hi,

well (or not), but in that case you have either luck and find such a tool in the www or you would have to spent some time (or money) for developing it.

It's not as hard as long as the segments are short enough and equal in length. Short enough for an automatism to recognize them as arc-segments and not as normal straight segment.

What may be more expensive is to take care of topology consistence for polygonal topologies. As polygonal shapes are defined by closed outlines there are always two polylines at the same position, so also the arcs. Now the worst case is that you calculate for each of these two neighbouring two arcs that are not exactly euqal. A minimal different radius or start- or endpoint could damage the topological correctness of your geometry.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 11

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost