AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ArcSDE Connection Fails--please help

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
timothy.mills
2181 Views, 3 Replies

ArcSDE Connection Fails--please help

We're running and ArcSDE database with ArcGIS Server 9.3.1, and our users connect to it without issue with ArcGIS 10 Desktop. Some of our users are migrating from ArcGIS Desktop to AutoCAD Map 2012, and are not able to connect to create the SDE Connection.

The error in AutoCAD reads:
LOGIN FAILED
Unable to establish connection to provider. FDO Provider entry point function 'CreateConnection' returned NULL.

We are using the same login credentials that we used with AutoCAD Map 2010, and we were able to connect then--however after upgrading to Map 2012, no user was still able to connect. I understand that we may need additional .DLL files or to adjust settings in order to connect. If anyone is using AutoCAD Map 2012 to connect to an ArcSDE database, your help is much appreciated in getting the connection to take.

In AutoCAD Map 2010, I was able to connect without moving/adding any additional .dll or other files.  I understand this isn't the case anymore.  What am I looking for, and how do I find them? 

I've read thru this old solution but they were much further along than I, so I need to take a few steps back first

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Map-3D/Connection-AutoCAD-2012-to-ArcSDE-does-not-work/m-p/315...

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
marknelson
in reply to: timothy.mills

I have this save combination of software and seems to work.  You need to copy the three DLL's listed in the help file (get these from a machine with Arcmap loaded) to the bin\fdo folder in Map 3D  2012.

See on-line map help:

http://docs.autodesk.com/MAP/2012/ENU/filesMUG/GUID-88B70030-40E4-4A0C-B20A-0D7ADAD98D50.htm?highlig...

good luck

Message 3 of 4
potterg

I ran into the same problem.  The solution I found that worked was to install the ArcSDE (64 bit) client tools locally on my machine.  If you try just to copy the dlls over from another machine you may get an error related to a variable not being set.  I copied the three dlls (pe.dll, sde.dll sg.dll) into the following directory C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.  From there I edited the services file under C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc to include the esri_sde  5151/tcp information (I don't think it does anything but was just following directions) and then finally I connected to my data source.  Originally my instance name was "sde:sqlserver:<servername>" under 2012 but with 2013 I had to use "5151:<servername>" or what ever instance number your administrators have assigned.

I hope this helps.

Message 4 of 4
JJuniewich

If you are running a windows 64 bit machine you need the correct dll's. I have outlined a method for finding and extracting them on the link below.

http://totalcad.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/finding-and-extracting-the-64-bit-sde-dlls/

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost