AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ArcPad/ArcStudio and Map 3D

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ArmyVet717
609 Views, 8 Replies

ArcPad/ArcStudio and Map 3D

We purchased 2 Handheld Nautiz X7 GPS units that use ArcPad 10 and ArcPad Studio. We are having issues getting the data we input out into AutoCAD Map 2011 3D correctly. We have no training or knowledge of ArcPad and are growing very impatient. When we imported the shape files from the unit, they scaling was extremely off. We insterted a Google image over the top of the points that we extracted, but they were nowhere near the correct size and scale. Does anyone have any knowledge on how to get the .shp file transferred over correctly and to the proper scale so that we can actually work with the points provided?
Any help would be great and much appreciated!!!
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Murph_Map
in reply to: ArmyVet717

From one vet to another, wish you had asked about those units before you bought them and ArcPad.

They do look rugged and hold up to being dropped and getting wet but I did not see anything on their web site or a couple of reviews I googled up about the accurately of their units nor what coordinate system they do capture the points in. It's been a few years since I used ArcPad but I go recall in the template you use in the GPS unit you could set the coordinate system.

What area are you in? 

What units did you serve with?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 9
phmurphy

I can almost guarantee that the coordinate system, aka projection, is different between ArcPad and Autocad Map.

Find the .prj file in the set of files that you get from ArcPad.  It is a text file that when you open it up you will have the projection of the ArcPad files. 

If the projection is different than your Map file then you will either need to:

1. import the arcpad files into a separate dwg, declare the projection of that file, save it and close it, then attach and query into your project, after declaring what the coordinate system is of your project as well as the attached file.

2. change the coordinate system of arcpad on your device to match your project, THEN collect data.

I don't use the FDO system, so perhaps that works easier.  Murph would know.

Message 4 of 9
ArmyVet717
in reply to: Murph_Map

Honestly Murph, I wish we would have been "educated" better. Luckily, I did not buy these units, and my company did. Tech support and support from the seller is nonexistent, which really irrtates me. They never told us anything other than they are great units. As far as we can tell, yes, they are good units, better than the outdated Trimble's we are using, and much less expensive (the reason they were purchased). 

I will look throught .prj files and see what I can find. I am hoping that our meeting with ESRI next week will produce some answers and get us up and running so these units get into the field rather than collecting dust in the office.

Former Units:

Ft. Polk, LA - 5th ID

Ft. Hood, TX - 2AD then 4th ID

Served in the forst Gulf War under the 5th ID.  

Message 5 of 9
phmurphy

Just to avoid confusion, there are two Murphs responding to this thread.  I am Pat Murphy not the actual awesome Murph that has helped me so often.

Message 6 of 9
Murph_Map
in reply to: phmurphy

@phmurphy wrote:

Just to avoid confusion, there are two Murphs responding to this thread.  I am Pat Murphy not the actual awesome Murph that has helped me so often.

The "awesome" one that's can not find work in the field in this part of the world.  🙂

Murph
Message 7 of 9
Murph_Map

@ArmyVet717 wrote:

Honestly Murph, I wish we would have been "educated" better. Luckily, I did not buy these units, and my company did. Tech support and support from the seller is nonexistent, which really irrtates me. They never told us anything other than they are great units. As far as we can tell, yes, they are good units, better than the outdated Trimble's we are using, and much less expensive (the reason they were purchased). 

I will look throught .prj files and see what I can find. I am hoping that our meeting with ESRI next week will produce some answers and get us up and running so these units get into the field rather than collecting dust in the office.

Former Units:

Ft. Polk, LA - 5th ID

Ft. Hood, TX - 2AD then 4th ID

Served in the forst Gulf War under the 5th ID.  

Just don't let ESRI talk the management into buy Arc GIS, Arc PAD should be able to create a prj file. You may need to obtain a simple shape file with a prj file and upload that to the GPS units.

Former 101st ABN Div  (74-82)

Part of the 800th MP PW/CI BGE (82-96)

Murph
Message 8 of 9
ArmyVet717
in reply to: Murph_Map

What aprt of the worl you in Murph?

Airborne huh?? Nice, Thank you for your service!

I was went through a 30 day Special Forces course when I drove for the Div Commander (Major Gen). His other driver and I were "volunteered" for it. We graduated top 10, and were given the opportunity to go to Airborne or Special Forces, but I ended up breaking my ankle and on a permanent PT waiver for running. Not too long after, 5th ID became 2AD and we moved everything to Ft. Hood. Had I not broken my ankle, I would have done it. I did go through sniper school after returning from the Gulf, but going Special Forces would have been a wonderful addition.

Message 9 of 9
Murph_Map

@ArmyVet717 wrote:

What aprt of the worl you in Murph?

Airborne huh?? Nice, Thank you for your service!

I'm in TN/KY area home of the 101st and work part time there at min wage until congress lifts the hiring freeze. I'm expecting a longggggggggggg wait on that.

Murph

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost