AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ArcGIS versus AutoCad Map

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
lbutler4
1426 Views, 6 Replies

ArcGIS versus AutoCad Map

I work for the county assessor in the map rooom and we make changes to tax maps.  We used AutoCad Map to make the changes but now an ESRI GIS has been compleded and the assessor doesn't want us to use AutoCad Map.  I'd rather use AutoCad Map.  Does anybody have a good argument for using AutoCad Map?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: lbutler4

Hi,

>> Does anybody have a good argument for using AutoCad Map?

if I'm very bad: Map3D can plot 😉    ... without buying ArcPress or something like that.

Map3D is the much better option when you have to handle/modify geometry. Beginning with a mass of objectsnap-variations, all modify-functionality with grips, ... you are done with geometry-work very very faster (incl. better quality) than you will be able to do with ArcVIEW/ArcGIS.

So all work operating on geometry will be easier and faster done with Map3D.

Than there is the part of stylization and analysation and data-amount, that are items of where it's hard to beat. Even with Map3D2012, which is real good in flexibility of stylization, at the point you create a thematic map and/or use labeling (lot of text) the performance if Map3D is more data-amount-depending than ArcXXX.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7

I completely agree with you, herr Alfred.

Maybe the weakest aspect of Map, in comparison with Esri tools, is about the raster management: for instance, Arcgis is able to handle gigabyte images .ECW in real time, whereas Map crashes or doesn't open them at all.

Message 4 of 7
MMorrison

AutoCAD Map does edits far easier than ESRI.  You can possibly edit the ArcGIS directly if you like (depends on setup/permissions/etc)  If you would like, send me a note off-list and we can talk.

Martin

Message 5 of 7
lbutler4
in reply to: MMorrison

I tried sending MMorrison a private message but I get an error message that says he has a duplicate screen name. I pick MMorrison but I still get the error message.

Message 6 of 7
lbutler4

My e-mail address is lbutler4@assessor.state.wv.us

Message 7 of 7
MMorrison

Send me an email then at martin dot morrison at edsi dot com.

Martin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost