AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotation template to label odd shaped polyline (polygon)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jagielski
883 Views, 6 Replies

Annotation template to label odd shaped polyline (polygon)

I am creating an annotation template to label closed polylines based on information from an attached database. My problem is with odd shaped polygons that the labels show up in odd locations. I can move the labels but then if I have to update the annotations because of a database update, they will revert back to where they are and I have to move them again. This would be fine for a few parcels but I have a lot of maps with a lot of parcels that I am wanting to do this with.

Does anybody have a suggestion for labeling these type of parcels from annotation text that will better center the text in an odd shaped parcel automatically?

I'm not sure I am describing what I am trying to accomplish very well or not so let me know if you have any questions. I'm attaching a quick drawing just for an example of the type of shape I am talking about.

Thank you,

Kraig

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Murph_Map
in reply to: jagielski

Instead of using UPDATE " _mapannupdate"  use the refresh "_mapannrefresh" command with "S" string only option. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 7
jagielski
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thank you for the information. I had found that solution for not having to redo work when moving and scaling annotation from a template. My main question was about the possibility of controling where autocad places a label when using the mapanninsert command. It works well for areas that aren't too odd shaped, but for areas that are odd shaped such as the one I had attached previously, this doesn't work too well. This is fine for one or two (or even dozens) of parcels, but I'm looking at updating 1000nds of parcels and this will be some work, and so be it if there is no better way.

I do have another question related to labeling parcels from a created annotation template. Is there a way to have the label generated when using the mapanninsert command for a template be automatically scaled up or down in size depending on the size of the closed polyline I am labeling from (larger text for a large area and smaller text for a smaller area)?

I have looked and looked and I can't find any good information for more detailed information for creating annotation templates. I've tried to find information on how to use the edit expression box for scale and rotation in the define annotation template but have struck out.

If anybody has any insight on any of this, I would greatly appreciate it, even someplace I could turn for more instruction in this area.

Thank you,

Kraig

Message 4 of 7
Murph_Map

The location of the label point is anyones guess on odd shaped polygons. 🙂

As for the scale and rotation in the template and geting help on or it explained is lacking in the new help files. 

I weblogged on it years ago but don't know what posting it is on if you want to look/search heres the site. 

http://map3d.wordpress.com/

Murph
Message 5 of 7
jagielski

Murph,

Thanks for the post. I've been all the way through your blog and I have found lots of usefull information but I am striking out on finding anything specific as to how I can better control the scale of the annotation template that might be dependent on the parcel that I am labeling with the annotation template.

Thank you,

Kraig

Message 6 of 7
Murph_Map

Sorry I thought I blogged on it years ago. It all depends on what you want to use to scale the text by. An example of an expression would be if you have polygons (closed polylines) you can use the pline "Area" property to scale the inserted block or annotation.

Example the expression would be (* .AREA 2) which will make the text 2 times the area of the polygon, if the polygon area is 10 then the text will be 20. This is an exaggeration and too large most times but something like (* .AREA .001) will make the text one thousands of the area, or smaller. Now if you have a OD field that holds a value and you want to scale on that you need to see if the field value is a "STRING' (text) or a integer /real number. If its a string you need to convert it to a real number with the ATOF lisp function. 

Murph
Message 7 of 7
jagielski

Thank you for the help Murph, I'm getting it figured out.

Kraig

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost