AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

arunrnf
Message 1 of 12 (1,782 Views)

Advice - AutoCAD MAP3D vs MapInfo and ArcGIS

1782 Views, 11 Replies
02-08-2013 01:35 AM

Hi

Ive been trying to find feature comparison data between AutoCAD MAP3D and GIS software such as Mapinfo and ARC GIS but it seems hard to find. Can any AutoCAD MAP3D users here give me some advice on how the GIS capabilities of AutoCAD MAP3D differ from those of these other GIS products.... is AutoCAD MAP3D a fullly functional GIS package?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 12 (1,771 Views)

Re: Advice

02-08-2013 02:06 AM in reply to: arunrnf

Ok, I start :smileywink:

first: I don't know MapInfo, so I can only compare ArcGIS and Map3D (more used ot Map3D, of course).

second: whatever forum you start such a thread will result in "the software I use is the best", in that case here all use Map3D, so guess what percentage of users will mark Map3D as  best :smileywink:

So you should also start such a thread in the ArcGIS and MapInfo discussion forums.

And now:

>> is AutoCAD MAP3D a fullly functional GIS package?

Yes, it is.

>> how the GIS capabilities of AutoCAD MAP3D differ from those of these other GIS products

The global points I see worth to be mentioned:

+ AutoCAD Map3D ==> editing geometry

• as Map3D is based in AutoCAD you have a full set of tools for creation and modification of geometry (otrack, osnap, grip-functionality and a lot more)

+ AutoCAD Map3D ==> plot

• the setup of a layout, including titleblock, multiple viewports, .... all is relativ easy to create compared to ArcGIS
  • using a lot of different plotters and plot formats (especially oversizes) is no problem for AutoCAD-based products

+ AutoCAD Map3D ==> geometry cleaning / creation of topologies

• one of the functions I really love. Check existing geometry for defects like overshoot, undershoot, crossings, ... With a given tolerance Map3D is able to handle/repair that defects.
  • so also creation and manipulation of really topological data is a thing Map3D is able to do that. E.g. don't think that modifying a SHP in ArcGIS is topological proofed, you might get then overlaps or holes in your working area without any warning.

+ ArcGIS ==> analyses

• ArcGIS has it's strength in analyses, Map3D get closer and closer to the abilites of ArcGIS, but Map3D has not all types of analyses yet that ArcGIS offers

+ ArcGIS ==> data amount

• currently ArcGIS can handle much more data on high performance, especially for thematic maps. It's not a problem for 1000 or polygons, but if you have > 100000 polygons and they have to be filled in different colors based on any attributive field makes Map3D slow on display while ArcGIS plays around.

And now waiting for others, that's just my 2c :smileywink:

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
arunrnf
Message 3 of 12 (1,770 Views)

02-08-2013 02:10 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thank you Alfred

"ArcGIS ==> analyses

• ArcGIS has it's strength in analyses, Map3D get closer and closer to the abilites of ArcGIS, but Map3D has not all types of analyses yet that ArcGIS offers"

Would you be able to elaborate on this..... especially in terms of what Map3D cannot do?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 12 (1,763 Views)

02-08-2013 02:20 AM in reply to: arunrnf

Hi,

e.g. statistics like show on each label of a polygon a pie-chart of a percentage value of a sum of any value in the attributes

or ... in some cases it's hard to get labels as text-objects in case of high number of polygons (Map3D gets then slow on screen) and sometimes the intelligence of Map3D is to high to hold a text within it's polygon (well there are workarounds for that).

But to be honest: analyses like "create a thematic map" can be done with every of these packages, the difference there is in very very small details.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
arunrnf
Message 5 of 12 (1,751 Views)

02-08-2013 02:30 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

DO you know how they compare in terms of spatial analysis?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 12 (1,748 Views)

02-08-2013 02:34 AM in reply to: arunrnf

Hi,

>> DO you know how they compare in terms of spatial analysis?

I see no difference in doing analyses based on geography location/properties or on based on attributive properties.

Both doing that.

Maybe to give you one idea: besides the internal topological functionality in Map3D you have also the functionality from OSGEO built in (>>>click<<<).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
arunrnf
Message 7 of 12 (1,735 Views)

02-08-2013 03:33 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks, would greatly approciate coments from other members to :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 8 of 12 (1,708 Views)

02-08-2013 03:06 PM in reply to: arunrnf

arunrnf wrote:

Thanks, would greatly approciate coments from other members to :smileyhappy:

I concur with everything Alfred stated, just add that labeling features with attributes may be easier in ESRI.
The other main differeance AutoCAD Map3D has 3d build in, the last version of ArcGIS I used it was an add module that you paid extra for.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
Distinguished Contributor
Gary_Braun
Message 9 of 12 (1,703 Views)

02-08-2013 04:08 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred mentioned a plotting advantage for Map3D, and I have to agree that the multiple layouts is a huge advantage, but if you ever need to do a mapbook, (as some of us still do once in awhile), then the data driven pages in ArcGIS beats Map3D hands down.

Contributor
MyDigitalParadise
Message 10 of 12 (1,700 Views)

02-08-2013 09:19 PM in reply to: Gary_Braun

I am primarily an ArcGIS user but actually started with CAD and I while I prefer ArcGIS for Making actual maps I do greatly miss the geometry editing ease of AutoCAD.  Now I have Map 3D and am just getting into learning how to use it.  The ribbon based layout is different from what I learned on (14 and 2000) but that will be a minor issue overall.  Me I plan to use a blend of the two to my best advantage.

Paul

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.