AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding imagery to Map 3D 2012 file

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
bkesting
512 Views, 15 Replies

Adding imagery to Map 3D 2012 file

I am a fairly new user of the Map 3D.  We have a map created for our city with all our utilites, zoning, etc. plotted out and we have some very old aerial imagery attached to it. 

Just a few months ago, Pictometry flew some new hi-res imagery for me.  I have individual ortho tiles and one large ortho-mosaic.  When I try to install the imagery, it doesn't line up anywhere close to where it should be on the map.  How can I go about getting my imagery and my map lined up?

Thanks for any help

Brian

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
antoniovinci
in reply to: bkesting

Command: _ADERSHEET

Message 3 of 16
bkesting
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thanks for the suggestion.  I can't quite seem to get it to work right, but I'll keep messing around with that command.

Thanks

Message 4 of 16
Murph_Map

Check the coordinate system for both the image and your base map/dwg.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 16
bkesting
in reply to: Murph_Map

Here's how new I am to this product.......how do I find the coordinate system for my base drawing?

Message 6 of 16
Murph_Map

In newer versions it's on the Stataus bar.

Coordinates.PNG

On older systems type in _MAPCSASSIGN.

Murph
Message 7 of 16
antoniovinci

bkesting wrote:

I'll keep messing around with that command

As first attempt, I'd try to line up the imagery to the vector, by means of the simple _ALIGN command.

Afterwards, I'd run the "fine tuning" of the powerful _ADERSHEET routine.

Message 8 of 16
Murph_Map

Be careful of the rubbersheeting or that command. Do a save of the dwg before you use it and saveas after each move or edit. I have seen too many users end up with trash and no way to get back to the original work.

Murph
Message 9 of 16
fieldguy

What format did you receive the orthos in?  The easiest (for alignment purposes) is TIFF images with TFW "world files".

Message 10 of 16
bkesting
in reply to: fieldguy

My current base map doesn't appear to have any coordinate system applied to it.  It must just be "floating in space".

My ortho imagery (tiles and mosaic) are in .ecw fomat.  (Though I think I can convert them if need be).

Message 11 of 16
fieldguy

You should be able to work it backwards.  If you can determine the coordinate system, size, and "base" coordinate (there is a good explanation of TFW >>here<<) of the ecw file then you could assign that system to your vector data.  The provider will have image coordinate reference information.

Align and rubber sheet should be last resorts IMHO - only used if there is no other option.  It might be worth your time and effort to get your vector data referenced to the "real world" somehow (control points, survey monuments, etc).  It depends on your ultimate goal.  If this is a 1 off then rubber sheet it.

Message 12 of 16
bkesting

I do have a bunch of survey monuments on my base map, and I have GPS coordinates for them in an ESRI map. 

Message 13 of 16
antoniovinci

fieldguy wrote:

TFW ... of the ecw

Well, I would disagree with that, sir.

1] A worldfile does NOT contain any projection data, so you can't figure out to which EPSG a raster belong

2] An .ecw does NOT need a worldfile, because its header contains full projection/location info on the Earth

I think the best resource to work with is a Geotiff, because, once you kept its header, you can edit it in several free tools e.g. Gimp or Irfanview.
And finally, to transform a just-scanned raster into a rich Geotiff, my advice is only one: the opensource Qgis.

Message 14 of 16
bkesting

I can just do a "move" and most of what I need works fine.

I've tried assigning a coordinate system to my existing drawing, then bringing in my imagery and I must be doing something wrong, because I either get errors or it just doesn't line up. 

1) I found a point on Google Maps of my base map to get a lat/long reading.

2) I ran MAPCSASSIGN and set a coordinate system (NE83F specifically) as my coordinate system

3) I converted the Lat/Long numbers into State Plane (NE83F) coordinates

4) I entered a point on my CAD dwg with those coordinates.

5) I moved my dwg using "Move" to using a reference point on the drawing to its "Lat/Long" point I created.

When I try to bring in my new imagery I get the warning "Source Coordinate System not found".  What does that mean?

(I can bring in my imagery with no coordinate system defind on my dwg and just move the dwg on top of the imagery, but I am trying to get things geo located in the right spot if at all possible)

Message 15 of 16
antoniovinci

bkesting wrote:
What does that mean?

It means that your raster is neither georeferenced nor having a worldfile.

If you wanna line up to a vector map, you must align it according to 2 known coordinates points.
Import that raster thru the _IMAGE command, then run the _ALIGN command to calibrate it.

Finally create its worldfile by means of this tool.

Message 16 of 16
bkesting

I'll check this out.....thanks for the info.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost