AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding geometry to an existing feature record through FDO

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
foxeec
407 Views, 4 Replies

Adding geometry to an existing feature record through FDO

I'm running Map 2012 64 bit on Windows 7.  I've connected to an sdf file through FDO.  In the sdf file, it has points representing where people live.  Some of the records have the person's information, but no point associated with it.  Is there a way to add a point to an existing record through FDO?  Typically, i'll create a new point, then re-enter all the data i need for that person and then delete the old record.  I'm just wondering if there's an easier way.

Thanks,
Lorrie

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: foxeec

Hi,

>> Some of the records have the person's information, but no point associated with it

How have you done that? How did you create a new record without any graphics?

I think the question how to assign graphic-data to an existing data-record is not valid as you normally can't create attributive data without geometry. Or I get surprised now 🙂

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
foxeec

The data was originally just tabular data inside SQL Server 2008.  One of the fields assigned was 'address'.  We were able to geocode and create points for most of those; however, there were several that the address wasn't complete, or somehow invalid to create a point.  So, i was able to get the record, but when highlighted, I got a lovely error that says 'no valid geometry'.  I was hoping to be able to attach a point to that existing record, but i haven't been able to yet.

Since there were only 15 or so, it was easy enough to create the point and enter the data manually; i was just hoping for a more efficient method.

Lorrie

Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

ok, now I understand 😉

The next time you create the data within SQL-Server you could create those records with a dummy-point (coordiantes anywhere within or near-by your city/country/rest of data.... so that the extents are ok, needed for an efficient search-algorithm for the GIS-data) and when you have the correct coords you can move the point to the known coordinates.

The other option would be to just save the X/Y-coordinates as double-values in your datatable. From that you can also display symbols in your map + you don't need any "geometry"-field in your database that is not as easy to handle as doubles. But be careful as this type may be not as performant as geometry and it may give some conflicts when working with projection-systems.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
foxeec
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for the suggestions, Alfred.

Definitely something i will remember i the future.

Lorrie

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost