AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding fields to existing shp file table

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
dhoskings
3171 Views, 9 Replies

Adding fields to existing shp file table

Does anyone know how to add more fields to the dbf file of a shp (using AutoCAD Map 2010), other than calculation fields? I am often working on a shp and get asked to add more fileds to hold more data but cannot find a way to do in in AutoCAD (have to resort back to Arcview: but then that causes issues when I go back to the original CAD file that has the data connected to it).

Thanks,
Dave
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jackie.ng
in reply to: dhoskings

Copy your SHP file to a directory of your choice. Make sure it has only this one SHP file.

Connect to this directory in the Data Connect dialog using the SHP connection.

In your Map Explorer tab, go to Schema - Edit Schema

Add your new fields, then click apply. Your SHP will have the new fields added. You can verify the new fields are there by removing the connection and repeating the above steps. Your new fields should be there when you bring up the Schema Editor again.

The reason you have to connect to a directory is because for SHP files, schema modification can't work on a single SHP file connection. Secondly, the reason that directory only contains that one SHP file is so that when you apply, it only affects that one SHP file.

Hope that helps.

- Jackie
Message 3 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jackie.ng

Will that work on an sdf file?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
Murph_Map
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

Will that work on an sdf file?

Yes, in fact you can edit the data/table with out having it in a separate folder. Just edit with the schema editor. Also I shouldn't have to tell you or that W.F.Berry fella north of me to make a back up copy first right. 🙂

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 10
antoniovinci
in reply to: dhoskings

dhoskings wrote:
using AutoCAD Map 2010

By the way, in my golden olden Map2006, I cannot edit the inner structrure of a shape (as said by Jackie&Murph), so I use the opensource Mapwindow to achieve the goal...

Message 6 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Murph_Map

Hmmm? That worked great. Is there a way to paste an Excel column into my newly created property field?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Murph_Map
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

Hmmm? That worked great. Is there a way to paste an Excel column into my newly created property field?

Nope, you need to do a data connect to the excell (if it will connect) then do a join and save as a new sdf file.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 8 of 10
randoshadow

I do this and then I get an error window pop up and it says "This path is not of a legal form."

any idea what I am doing wrong?

Randy

Message 9 of 10
djlcedar

Very interesting that I keep coming back to this 2010 post. Just want to create my own shp file from a polyline and add a field for length and another one for name. It feels like I'm the first person to ever want to do what appears to be a overlooked and highly needed function for those that just want to do a couple of things in Map 3D. Why they don't allow you to add fields to a shp file that you create with the Map 3D function seems very odd. 

Message 10 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: djlcedar

Please don't crosspost ... lets continue >>>there<<<, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost