AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a Custom Coordinate system without Auto-Registered name

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Jay_B
1717 Views, 6 Replies

Adding a Custom Coordinate system without Auto-Registered name

Here's the scenario.

I have a drawing with a custom coordinate system in it and I can open the drawing and answer yes to the 3 dialogs stating dwg contains a ...coord. sys. etc.

But when the coordinate system is added it gets named "Auto-Registered"

And is added to:

C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Autodesk\User Geospatial Coordinate Systems\*.CSD

I'm wondering if it's possible to add to the listing as it's proper name assuming I get IT to get the proper write access at this location?

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Geospatial Coordinate Systems 14.00

The instructions in link posted here by @Murph_Map gives hope that it may be possible.

I did have IT make some adjustments twice but tried adding CS after the tweaks and none of the save dates in this folder were updated.

If possible and successful in adding CS name to list, would the *.CSD files within the \Geospatial Coordinate Systems 14.00\ folder get appended with my

custom coordinate sys. name etc.?

Attempting this in Civil 3d 2014 SP2.

All help is appreciated.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
phil_borycens
in reply to: Jay_B

Hi Jay,

I do not know of a way to change the name of a custom CS in Windows Explorer. But it's very easy to do so within Map 3D (or Civil 3D): Simply run the MAPCSLIBRARY command, adjust the view to Status: User Defined, select the CS that you wish to change the name of, and click [Edit].

In the window that opens, the CS name is listed at the very top, in the Code field.

Phil Borycens
Message 3 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: phil_borycens

Phil,

So if I'm understanfing corectly, the "Code" & "Description" names can be edited, but there doesn't appear to be a way to edit the "Auto-registered" Category to an arbitrary name?

Has the behavior in the recent releases changed so the .CS files within the \Program Data\ folder can no longer be modified with user Coord. systems?

If above is yes, then I'd assume only one user-coordinate system would be available in the listing at a time and will always appear as "Auto-Registered"?

(whichever CS is present in the C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Autodesk\User Geospatial Coordinate Systems\ folder)

Thanks,

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 4 of 7
phil_borycens

Do you need to add an additional category to the "Available categories" list? If so, I'm not sure if that is possible (I also see that Category.CSD does not seem editable...)

If you simply wish to change the category from "Auto-Registered" to one of the existing 'more descriptive' categories, then that is easy; see this demo.

Phil Borycens
Message 5 of 7

So it *is* possible to add categories to the "Available categories" list (it just wasn't where I expected it).

You can get to it by running the MAPCSCREATE command or by finding it on the ribbon:

create category.png

You can't just create categories 'for fun' though -- the wizard forces you to associate your category with at least one coordinate system during the wizard.

Phil Borycens
Message 6 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: phil_borycens

Thanks Phil, I was able to get this to work with the help of your video. Smiley Happy

Is it possible to get the actual "Selected Coordinate System Code" to appear in lieu of "Unrecognized" ?

unrecognized.PNG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 7 of 7
phil_borycens

Hi Jay,

Actually what you are seeing is the AutoCAD coordinate system for the drawing. It shows as Unrecognized because AutoCAD's coordinate system library does not allow for additions (it's limited to the projected coordinate systems that it comes with). The 2014 readme hints at this if you search for "Unrecognized" on the page.

If you don't want to see the AutoCAD coordinate system, you can right-click just off of it and uncheck "GIS Coordinate System".

Phil Borycens

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost