AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating an Attached Drawing

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Pointdump
2906 Views, 11 Replies

Activating an Attached Drawing

I've cross-posted this in the Civil 3D Forum.

I can't make this Attached Drawing "Active". If I select this drawing and then click "Activate", nothing happens. I've tried this in both 2014(No Service Pack) and 2015(Service Pack 1) with different drawing combinations.

Activate.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi,

I guess when you click onto the line with the drawing (within the dialog you showed in the screenshot) that you get the button "Activate" enabled. 😉

Another option is to start _MAPWSPACE to you get the Map Task Pane, go to tab "Map Explorer" and there you can select the drawing and activate it through a right click within the context menu.

2014-10-12 16-00-16.png

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 12
Pointdump
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,

"...when you click onto the line with the drawing (within the dialog you showed in the screenshot) that you get the button 'Activate' enabled."

Yes, but clicking on "Activate" did nothing but return me to the same "No" Screen. And right-clicking on the attached drawing showed "Activate" as greyed-out and only "Deactivate" being selectable.

Update:
After clicking(dozens of times) every imaginable command in Map Explorer, going down fruitless rabbit holes, and Googling every search term I could think of, the unexpected happened. I have no idea what I did or what changed, but the Active Column changed to "Yes":

Activate3.png

OK, now we're on a roll. On to the next problem. Every attempt to Query in my Source Drawing fails:

Activate2.png

I've tried pretty much everything in Location, Property, and Data. I have no idea what an SQL is, but I suppose I should click on that one too.

Activate4.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 4 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

can you open that attached drawing directly using command _RECOVER ... does that show any errors?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 12
Pointdump

Alfred,

I just now tried RECOVER and this is what I got:

Recover.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 6 of 12
Pointdump

Alfred,

A thought just occurred to me. I've got both Current and Source Drawings open. Should I close the Source Drawing? Does that make a difference?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 7 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Should I close the Source Drawing?

YES! 😉

Sorry that I have not thought about that.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 12
Pointdump

Alfred,

OK, so I closed the Source Drawing and then tried RECOVER with same result:

Recover.png

Also, same result on Execute Query:

Activate5.png

Activate2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 9 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

if you are sure that you don't have the drawing now open (or referenced within any other currently open drawing) then please delete the file

Dudley_SPCS_2014.DWK

That is a lock file used by Map 3D to know which objects from a source drawing are used/currently access by which user.

But as long as that files exists the DWG file can not be opened directly in AutoCAD.

Another option, to be more safe:

a) create a copy of your Dudley_SPCS_2014.DWG

b) open Map 3D with a new drawing, attach the copied DWG

c) and try to query this one.

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 12
Pointdump

Alfred,

I searched both hard drives for the .DWK file, but nothing turned up.

I tried the "more safe" option, but got same results:

Activate6.png

I'm missing some key here. I can't Query anything from a Source Drawing. My source drawing is pretty basic--no Xref's, just a few COGO points, Lines and Feature Lines. There's got to be some small setting somewhere that won't allow it. 

I've attached my Current Drawing (Dudley_LDP1_2014) and the Source Drawing (Dudley_SPCS_2014).

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 11 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

with the Map 3D Query functionality you can only transform data that is based on plain AutoCAD.

The ADEQUERY command can't handle any application specific objects, so the AECC-objects can't be handled at all.

So nothing wrong with your drawings if that message is the only one you get (I have no chance now to look into your drawing, but with your message I think the answer is here and hopefully clear understandable).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 12 of 12
Pointdump

Alfred,

"The ADEQUERY command can't handle any application specific objects, so the AECC-objects can't be handled at all."

I was afraid of that. I was hoping to transform C3D Objects from one Coordinate System to another by this method. Dreams die hard. Sigh.

Thanks for all your help, Alfred. I'm going to mark a couple of your posts in this thread as a "Solution" because you did give me a definitive answer.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost