AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shapefile and Orthoimagery are not lining up and are not the correct size

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
lweeks816
3119 Views, 7 Replies

Shapefile and Orthoimagery are not lining up and are not the correct size

Hello,

I am having trouble creating a drawing using info downloaded from Texas Natural Resources Information System (TNRIS). I have had luck importing other data sources into Civil 3D using the "Map Connect" in the Task Pane in the past, but this has not worked with my current data set. It is clear to me that I am doing something wrong. What would be the correct steps for importing these files and having them be at the correct scale to use for site selection for a project?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've tried attaching the JPEG but I am unable too, but the contours do not match Bing maps either. If I could get it to work with either that'd work.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
antoniovinci
in reply to: lweeks816

Try my attachment instead, sir: any changes..?

Message 3 of 8
lweeks816
in reply to: antoniovinci

Sorry Antonia but there was no change. When I insert the orthoimagery, which is a jpeg, they still end up very far apart. I put both files into QGIS to see if they would line up in that program and they did just fine. So I imagine I'm doing something wrong in my workflow to mess with the coordinate systems. What steps would you suggest for bringing these files into my drawing? Thanks for you help so far.

Message 4 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

the PRJ file shows that the SHP is based on DEGREES, so it does not have units used typically for the areal image.

So before you use command _MAPCONNECT to get the shape displayed set first a valid coordinate system for your area which is not based in DEGREE.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 8
antoniovinci

lweeks816 wrote:

When I insert the orthoimagery, which is a jpeg

Well, sounds like you're using a bad worldfile, or you miss it at all, sir.

Would you please copy&paste here the content of the textual .JGW file..?
Message 6 of 8
lweeks816
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred that worked! My shapefile now lines up with the BING maps in Autodesk.

For some reason, the Jpeg still won't line up with the contours. Whenever I attempt _MAPCONNECT to the raster image it shows under coordinate system <unkown> it then will not allow the image in the drawing until I define a coordinate system. Upon doing so using TX83-NCF it appears off the map. Is there a problem with the jpeg and the xml or is it my work flow again?

Message 7 of 8
lweeks816
in reply to: antoniovinci

Well there is not a JGW file but here is the XML that came with the download (I have also attached the file below):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<metadata>
<idinfo>
<citation>
<citeinfo>
<title Sync="TRUE">3295_31_1_20150107.tif</title>
<geoform Sync="TRUE">remote-sensing image</geoform>
<othercit>Flight date is in the image filename as YYYYMMDD. </othercit>
<origin>Surdex Corp</origin><pubdate>Unknown</pubdate><pubtime>Unknown</pubtime><ftname Sync="TRUE">3295_31_1_20150107.tif</ftname><onlink Sync="TRUE">\\sdxdomain\prod\images\odrive\2400908\2400908-1\product_tiles\utm_15\Delivery4_utm15\Final_GeoTIFFs\3295_31_1_20150107.tif</onlink></citeinfo>
</citation>
<descript>
<abstract>The 0.5-meter orthoimagery covering the entire State of Texas were flown from October 2014 to August 2015. The majority of the moderate to heavy vegetation areas were acquired during leaf-off conditions. The 2014/2015 Statewide Orthoimagery Project under the Texas Orthoimagery Program (TOP) was administered by the Texas Natural Resources Information System (TNRIS), part of the Texas Water Development Board (TWDB) for 0.5-meter orthoimagery statewide with select areas additionally flown for 6-inch/1-foot orthoimagery. The Statement of Work was issued by the Strategic Mapping Program (StratMap) of TNRIS. Contributing partners to the statewide 0.5-meter orthoimagery were the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), the Texas General Land Office (GLO), the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), and the Railroad Commission of Texas (RRC). Partners that increased pixel resolution from 0.5-meter to 6-inch/1-foot in select areas were the University Lands, the San Antonio River Authority, Texas Parks and Wildlife, and the City of Georgetown. All orthoimagery acquired under this project are 4-band (R,G,B,NIR), natural color and color infrared capable. Each 0.5-meter image tile covers one 4th of a USGS Digital Orthophoto Quad (DOQ) resulting in a Digital Orthophoto Quarter-Quad (DOQQ) or approximately 16 square miles with minimum 150-meter buffers. Available image formats are compressed JPEG2000 and uncompressed GeoTIFF. Flight date is in the filename as YYYYMMDD. Full filename convention is DDDD_Q_QQ_YYYYMMDD where D=Degree block, Q=Quad#, QQ=Quarter-Quad#, Y=Year of Acquisition, M=Month of Acquisition, and D=Day of Acquisition. Half-meter orthoimagery were produced to meet 2.45 meters horizontal accuracy at 95% confidence level and were formatted to the UTM coordinate system using the North American Datum of 1983 (2011).Other products available with this project are statewide 0.5-meter Compressed County Mosaics (CCMs) and Seamline files.</abstract>
<purpose>Orthoimagery datasets are valuable mapping assets benefitting natural resources, energy, environmental, emergency management, land use planning, economic development, and policy interests. The aerial imagery was acquired from aircraft with digital camera sensors and processed as highly accurate digital orthoimagery that are used to identify current conditions, features, and changes on the ground serving as a base reference for other map information.</purpose>
<langdata Sync="TRUE">en</langdata></descript>
<timeperd>
<timeinfo>
<rngdates>
<begdate>20141023</begdate>
<enddate>20150831</enddate>
</rngdates>
</timeinfo>
<current>The 0.5-meter orthoimagery cover the entire state of Texas and all full DOQQ tiles that intersect with adjacent states and Mexico. This results in coverage outside of Texas to be anywhere from 0.25 to 5.5 miles.</current>
</timeperd>
<status>
<update>Irregular</update>
<progress>Complete</progress></status>
<spdom>
<bounding>
<westbc Sync="TRUE">-95.253305</westbc>
<eastbc Sync="TRUE">-95.184236</eastbc>
<northbc Sync="TRUE">32.627577</northbc>
<southbc Sync="TRUE">32.559919</southbc>
</bounding>
<lboundng><leftbc Sync="TRUE">288600.000000</leftbc><rightbc Sync="TRUE">294932.500000</rightbc><bottombc Sync="TRUE">3604737.500000</bottombc><topbc Sync="TRUE">3612111.000000</topbc></lboundng></spdom>
<keywords>
<theme>
<themekt>ISO 19115 Topic Categories</themekt>
<themekey>farming</themekey>
<themekey>biota</themekey>
<themekey>boundaries</themekey>
<themekey>climatologyMeteorologyAtmosphere</themekey>
<themekey>economy</themekey>
<themekey>environment</themekey>
<themekey>geoscientificInformation</themekey>
<themekey>health</themekey>
<themekey>imageryBaseMapsEarthCover</themekey>
<themekey>intelligenceMilitary</themekey>
<themekey>inlandWaters</themekey>
<themekey>location</themekey>
<themekey>oceans</themekey>
<themekey>planningCadastre</themekey>
<themekey>society</themekey>
<themekey>structure</themekey>
<themekey>transportation</themekey>
<themekey>utilitiesCommunication</themekey>
</theme>
<theme>
<themekt>None</themekt>
<themekey>Orthoimagery</themekey>
<themekey>Aerial</themekey>
<themekey>Imagery</themekey>
<themekey>Texas</themekey>
<themekey>Statewide</themekey>
<themekey>State</themekey>
<themekey>TOP</themekey>
<themekey>Texas Orthoimagery Program</themekey>
</theme>
</keywords>
<accconst>None</accconst>
<useconst>None. Public domain data.</useconst>
<ptcontac>
<cntinfo>
<cntorgp>
<cntorg>TNRIS</cntorg>
<cntper>TNRIS</cntper>
</cntorgp>
<cntaddr>
<addrtype>mailing and physical</addrtype>
<address>1700 N. Congress Ave., Room B40</address>
<city>Austin</city>
<state>TX</state>
<postal>78701</postal>
<country>US</country>
</cntaddr>
<cntvoice>512-463-8337</cntvoice>
<cntinst>https://tnris.org/contact/</cntinst>
</cntinfo>
</ptcontac>
<datacred>Texas Natural Resources Information System (TNRIS), part of the Texas Water Development Board (TWDB) </datacred>
<native Sync="TRUE">Microsoft Windows Vista Version 6.1 (Build 7601) Service Pack 1; ESRI ArcCatalog 9.3.0.1770</native>
<natvform Sync="TRUE">Raster Dataset</natvform></idinfo>
<spdoinfo>
<direct Sync="TRUE">Raster</direct>
<rastinfo>
<rasttype Sync="TRUE">Pixel</rasttype>
<rowcount Sync="TRUE">14747</rowcount>
<colcount Sync="TRUE">12665</colcount>
<rastxsz Sync="TRUE">0.500000</rastxsz><rastysz Sync="TRUE">0.500000</rastysz><rastbpp Sync="TRUE">8</rastbpp><vrtcount Sync="TRUE">1</vrtcount><rastorig Sync="TRUE">Upper Left</rastorig><rastcmap Sync="TRUE">FALSE</rastcmap><rastcomp Sync="TRUE">None</rastcomp><rastband Sync="TRUE">4</rastband><rastdtyp Sync="TRUE">pixel codes</rastdtyp><rastplyr Sync="TRUE">TRUE</rastplyr><rastifor Sync="TRUE">TIFF</rastifor></rastinfo>
</spdoinfo>
<spref>
<horizsys>
<planar>
<planci>
<plance Sync="TRUE">row and column</plance>
<coordrep>
<absres Sync="TRUE">0.500000</absres>
<ordres Sync="TRUE">0.500000</ordres>
</coordrep>
<plandu Sync="TRUE">meters</plandu>
</planci>
<gridsys><gridsysn Sync="TRUE">Universal Transverse Mercator</gridsysn><utm><utmzone Sync="TRUE">15</utmzone><transmer><sfctrmer Sync="TRUE">0.999600</sfctrmer><longcm Sync="TRUE">-93.000000</longcm><latprjo Sync="TRUE">0.000000</latprjo><feast Sync="TRUE">500000.000000</feast><fnorth Sync="TRUE">0.000000</fnorth></transmer></utm></gridsys></planar>
<geodetic>
<horizdn Sync="TRUE">North American Datum of 1983</horizdn>
<ellips Sync="TRUE">Geodetic Reference System 80</ellips>
<semiaxis Sync="TRUE">6378137.000000</semiaxis>
<denflat Sync="TRUE">298.257222</denflat>
</geodetic>
<cordsysn><geogcsn Sync="TRUE">GCS_North_American_1983</geogcsn><projcsn Sync="TRUE">NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_15N</projcsn></cordsysn></horizsys>
</spref>
<distinfo>
<distrib>
<cntinfo>
<cntorgp>
<cntorg>TNRIS</cntorg>
<cntper>TNRIS</cntper>
</cntorgp>
<cntaddr>
<city>Austin</city>
<state>TX</state>
<postal>78701</postal>
<country>US</country>
</cntaddr>
</cntinfo>
</distrib>
<distliab>See access and use constraints information.</distliab>
<resdesc Sync="TRUE">Downloadable Data</resdesc><stdorder><digform><digtinfo><transize>1.000</transize><dssize Sync="TRUE">0.000</dssize><formname>TIFF</formname></digtinfo><digtopt><offoptn><offmedia>CD-ROM</offmedia><recfmt>Unknown</recfmt></offoptn></digtopt></digform><fees>Unknown</fees></stdorder></distinfo>
<metainfo>
<metd Sync="TRUE">20160126</metd>
<metc>
<cntinfo>
<cntorgp>
<cntorg>TNRIS</cntorg>
<cntper>TNRIS</cntper>
</cntorgp>
<cntaddr>
<city>Austin</city>
<state>TX</state>
<postal>78701</postal>
<country>US</country>
</cntaddr>
</cntinfo>
</metc>
<metstdn Sync="TRUE">FGDC Content Standards for Digital Geospatial Metadata</metstdn>
<metstdv Sync="TRUE">FGDC-STD-001-1998</metstdv>
<mettc Sync="TRUE">local time</mettc>
<metuc>None. Pubic domain data.</metuc>
<langmeta Sync="TRUE">en</langmeta><metextns><onlink Sync="TRUE">http://www.esri.com/metadata/esriprof80.html</onlink><metprof Sync="TRUE">ESRI Metadata Profile</metprof></metextns></metainfo>
<Esri><CreaDate>20160126</CreaDate><CreaTime>15465700</CreaTime><SyncOnce>FALSE</SyncOnce><ModDate>20160126</ModDate><ModTime>16003700</ModTime><SyncDate>20160126</SyncDate><SyncTime>16003700</SyncTime><MetaID>{456FB86D-6B0B-4761-BFEC-3CC9F1BBADC0}</MetaID></Esri><dataqual><lineage><procstep><procdesc Sync="TRUE">Metadata imported.</procdesc><srcused Sync="TRUE">C:\2400908_Metadata\Half-Meter\StatewideDOQQ_Metadata_Template.xml</srcused><procdate Sync="TRUE">20150924</procdate><proctime Sync="TRUE">09055800</proctime></procstep><procstep><procdesc Sync="TRUE">Metadata imported.</procdesc><srcused Sync="TRUE">C:\2400908_Metadata\Half-Meter\3003_01_1_20141029.tif.xml</srcused><procdate Sync="TRUE">20150924</procdate><proctime Sync="TRUE">17501200</proctime></procstep><procstep><procdesc Sync="TRUE">Metadata imported.</procdesc><srcused Sync="TRUE">O:\2400908\2400908-1\product_tiles\utm_13\Delivery1Area_8-9\Final_GeoTIFFs\Metadata_Template\3003_01_1_20141029.xml</srcused><procdate Sync="TRUE">20150925</procdate><proctime Sync="TRUE">09073400</proctime></procstep><procstep><procdesc Sync="TRUE">Metadata imported.</procdesc><srcused Sync="TRUE">O:\2400908\2400908-1\product_tiles\utm_13\Delivery2_utm13\GeoTIFF_Tiles\Metadata\3003_01_1_20141029.xml</srcused><procdate Sync="TRUE">20151005</procdate><proctime Sync="TRUE">17255500</proctime></procstep><procstep><procdesc Sync="TRUE">Metadata imported.</procdesc><srcused Sync="TRUE">O:\2400908\2400908-1\product_tiles\utm_14\Delivery3_utm14\Deliv_3_rename\Final_GeoTIFF_Tiles\Metadata\GeoTIFF_Metadata_Template.xml</srcused><procdate Sync="TRUE">20151022</procdate><proctime Sync="TRUE">08021200</proctime></procstep><procstep><procdesc Sync="TRUE">Metadata imported.</procdesc><srcused Sync="TRUE">O:\2400908\2400908-1\product_tiles\utm_15\Delivery4_utm15\Final_GeoTIFFs\Metadata\0.5meter_per-tile_metadata.xml</srcused><procdate Sync="TRUE">20160126</procdate><proctime Sync="TRUE">15465700</proctime></procstep></lineage><logic>All GeoTIFF tagged data and image file sizes are validated using commercial GIS software to ensure proper loading before being archived. This validation procedure ensures correct physical format and field values for tagged elements. Seamlines and tile edges are visually inspected. Seamline mismatches are not corrected unless the overall displacement exceeds the four pixel accuracy requirement.</logic><complete>Orthoimages are visually inspected for completeness to ensure that no gaps or image misplacements exist within and between adjacent images. These images are derived by mosaicking multiple images to ensure complete coverage. Source imagery is cloud free. Photography was flown during leaf-off in deciduous vegetation regions.</complete></dataqual><mdDateSt Sync="TRUE">20160126</mdDateSt><dataIdInfo><envirDesc Sync="TRUE">Microsoft Windows Vista Version 6.1 (Build 7601) Service Pack 1; ESRI ArcCatalog 9.3.0.1770</envirDesc><dataLang><languageCode Sync="TRUE" value="en"></languageCode></dataLang><idCitation><resTitle Sync="TRUE">3295_31_1_20150107.tif</resTitle><presForm><PresFormCd Sync="TRUE" value="005"></PresFormCd></presForm></idCitation><spatRpType><SpatRepTypCd Sync="TRUE" value="002"></SpatRepTypCd></spatRpType><dataExt><geoEle><GeoBndBox esriExtentType="native"><westBL Sync="TRUE">288600</westBL><eastBL Sync="TRUE">294932.5</eastBL><northBL Sync="TRUE">3612111</northBL><southBL Sync="TRUE">3604737.5</southBL><exTypeCode Sync="TRUE">1</exTypeCode></GeoBndBox></geoEle></dataExt><geoBox esriExtentType="decdegrees"><westBL Sync="TRUE">-95.253305</westBL><eastBL Sync="TRUE">-95.184236</eastBL><northBL Sync="TRUE">32.627577</northBL><southBL Sync="TRUE">32.559919</southBL><exTypeCode Sync="TRUE">1</exTypeCode></geoBox></dataIdInfo><mdLang><languageCode Sync="TRUE" value="en"></languageCode></mdLang><mdStanName Sync="TRUE">ISO 19115 Geographic Information - Metadata</mdStanName><mdStanVer Sync="TRUE">DIS_ESRI1.0</mdStanVer><mdChar><CharSetCd Sync="TRUE" value="004"></CharSetCd></mdChar><mdHrLv><ScopeCd Sync="TRUE" value="005"></ScopeCd></mdHrLv><mdHrLvName Sync="TRUE">dataset</mdHrLvName><distInfo><distributor><distorTran><onLineSrc><linkage Sync="TRUE">file://\\sdxdomain\prod\images\odrive\2400908\2400908-1\product_tiles\utm_15\Delivery4_utm15\Final_GeoTIFFs\3295_31_1_20150107.tif</linkage><protocol Sync="TRUE">Local Area Network</protocol><orDesc Sync="TRUE">002</orDesc></onLineSrc><transSize Sync="TRUE">0.000</transSize></distorTran><distorFormat><formatName Sync="TRUE">Raster Dataset</formatName></distorFormat></distributor></distInfo><refSysInfo><RefSystem><refSysID><identCode Sync="TRUE">NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_15N</identCode></refSysID></RefSystem></refSysInfo><spatRepInfo><GridSpatRep><numDims Sync="TRUE">2</numDims><cellGeo><CellGeoCd Sync="TRUE" value="002"></CellGeoCd></cellGeo><tranParaAv Sync="TRUE">1</tranParaAv><axDimProps><Dimen><dimName><DimNameTypCd Sync="TRUE" value="002"></DimNameTypCd></dimName><dimSize Sync="TRUE">12665</dimSize><dimResol><value Sync="TRUE">0.5</value><uom><UomLength><uomName Sync="TRUE">Meter</uomName><conversionToISOstandardUnit Sync="TRUE">1 Meter = 1 Meter(s)</conversionToISOstandardUnit></UomLength></uom></dimResol></Dimen><Dimen><dimName><DimNameTypCd Sync="TRUE" value="001"></DimNameTypCd></dimName><dimSize Sync="TRUE">14747</dimSize><dimResol><value Sync="TRUE">0.5</value><uom><UomLength><uomName Sync="TRUE">Meter</uomName><conversionToISOstandardUnit Sync="TRUE">1 Meter = 1 Meter(s)</conversionToISOstandardUnit></UomLength></uom></dimResol></Dimen></axDimProps></GridSpatRep></spatRepInfo></metadata>

Message 8 of 8
lweeks816

@lweeks816 wrote:

Hello,

I am having trouble creating a drawing using info downloaded from Texas Natural Resources Information System (TNRIS). I have had luck importing other data sources into Civil 3D using the "Map Connect" in the Task Pane in the past, but this has not worked with my current data set. It is clear to me that I am doing something wrong. What would be the correct steps for importing these files and having them be at the correct scale to use for site selection for a project?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've tried attaching the JPEG but I am unable too, but the contours do not match Bing maps either. If I could get it to work with either that'd work.

This link and the solution suggested above helped me to solve this problem. 

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2015/autocad-civil-3d/ci11240#chapt...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost