Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xref Question

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
marchitect_nc
641 Views, 8 Replies

Xref Question

In another thread Modman said: "You can now have one XREF in modelspace and multiple paperspace viewports each with different linetype/color overrides -- no longer would you have to insert an XREF, rename it, do the overrides, then insert a fresh one for different overrides etc." Does the above Xref trick work in LT'09? Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: marchitect_nc

LT2010 and higher I believe.

To find out in LT2009, go into a viewport, turn on the layer palette, and see if any extra columns appear, far right, that are labelled for VP (viewports).

Message 3 of 9
Kate_LT
in reply to: pendean

Actually, if you're talking about layer property overrides in viewports (whether the layer is part of an xref or not), that was introduced in LT 2008.

Kate Morrical
Technical Marketing Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
LT Unlimited
Message 4 of 9
marchitect_nc
in reply to: Kate_LT

Cool! Now I just have to figure out how to do it.
Message 5 of 9
Modman_4

OP insert one xref and then go make 2 paperspace viewports of that xref and lock them. Double-click inside one to make it active. Now bring up your layer manager and look way over to the right side of it. You will see secondary values for layer freeze (which you probably already use) but also for layer color and linetype. These are different from the columns showing the default values. Try changing some of them. For example you should now have a column for a default color (say yellow) and another farther to the right of that, for VP color (which you overrode to blue). One possibility is to select all layers in one viewport and make their VP color gray, for a "base" drawing for annotating. Our MEP guy does just that, and then makes the lights or the outlets or the ceiling diffusers layer a standout color that works for him.

Once you have tested this, assuming you found the columns that start with VP and changed only those values (such as color), you should be able to see the change in the one viewport, while the second viewport still retains its oriignal values 🙂

And yes we have 2008LT with that feature on 2 workstations here...

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! 🙂
Message 6 of 9
marchitect_nc
in reply to: Modman_4

Thanks modman. That is so awesome! I had been doing it the other way you previously described but this is much better. Wow!
Message 7 of 9
Modman_4

Thanks OP I am here like anyone else, to offer voluntary advice based on my experience and to seek nuggets of wisdom to make myself more productive -- such as the DIMTFILL variable, and being able to override dimension text right-to-left and under the line for rotated viewports. Those weren't mine but they can be useful. Not sure if LT does that though.

I do keep a Word.doc with anything I have picked up. And I keep waiting for someone to say "but modman here's a faster way than yours", which I gladly glom onto lol. But that's the spirit of these forums, to seek quick answers and to either show others the way or at least point them in the direction to find the answers themselves. Follow Dean and Bernie and the rest and you'll learn much, guaranteed Smiley Wink

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! 🙂
Message 8 of 9
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Modman_4

Are you still thumping your chest this morning? LOL

Message 9 of 9
Modman_4
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Haha. Oops OP I forgot to mention follow that Charles feller too, but at a safe distance Smiley Tongue

(that's who I got the word "glom" from lol)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost