Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-REF not holding VISRETAIN SETTING

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
orange777
4555 Views, 5 Replies

X-REF not holding VISRETAIN SETTING

I have recently changed my workplace.  I used to work in AutoCAD 2010 and I'm now working in AutoCAD LT 2012.

My drawings are set as follows:

my base file L-BASE(working drw) is X-REFED into Layout Plan Drw (working drawing) and that's then X-REFED into Layout Sheet Drw (for plotting and publishing)

In Layout Plan Drw. I turned off layers from L-BASE and set VISRETAIN to 1.  When I go to my Layout Sheet however, those frozen layers come on?  I thought that it's supposed to hold them, or am I wrong?

Has anyone encountered this before ... perhaps CAD LT has different setting? thx!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: orange777

VISRETAIN, regardless of AutoCAd/LT version, has never changed: it also only works before you attach an XREF, not afterwards, and I suspect that also applies to embedded Xrefs too.

Regardless, I'm curious why you manage layers one file down instead of just in the top file where you plot and publish: seems to be the hard way of doing it.

And have you explored using LAYERSTATE as a way to manage layer settings in all TOP files? Pretty handy, and very sharable between files. It does require you to automate layer names (and Xref names inside files) etc. for best consistency and automation.

Message 3 of 6
AJM317
in reply to: pendean

I also have a similar file structure where our site plan file (Base Drawing) has multiple xrefs referenced (arch, survey, etc). Then that file is referenced into our layout/construction file (Layout Drawing) which then is referenced into a sheet file for plot/publishing. I am looking to control the layer designation (color/line type) at the lower level to reduce the amount of time it would take to update 200+ sheets when we get a file update such as an architectural update. Can VISRETAIN or another command help in designating these layers at the lower level in hopes to negate the tasks of opening each sheet and setting layers accordingly? Also I have noticed many posts mentioning the use of LAYERSTATE, but this tool has not worked very successfully in my experience (It does change layer color designation but does not freeze or thaw the proper layers saved in the layerstate manager - I tend to use it but have to return to cleanup and missed layers). Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Message 4 of 6
pendean
in reply to: AJM317

Checking drawings for "standard" you set is a feature of Full AutoCAD, not LT: I think this is maybe what you seek?

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/ACD/2012/ENU/pages/WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4...

LAYERSTATE command works well, but you need to be aware it is simply s snapshot of a current state of a file (hence the name0. Adding layers and Xrefs after the fact makes the snapshot irrelevant and useless, much like taking a picture of Grandma and then having Granpa walk in afterwards does not change the shot you just clicked with her alone 🙂

LAYERSTATE also has some check boxes at the bottom that are critical to know: such as the two RESTORE OPTIONS, the Xref listing option, and understanding what all the Layer Properties on the right side of the pop-up entail and whether you need them or not (especially the New VP Frozen/Thawed option).

VISRETAIN is much the same, it also is a 'snapshot' tool that holds the layer settings of an XREF when it is first brought in. It appears you need to develop standards and controls for all the lower files separately, by discipline, then use VISRETAIN in the top file to "hold" those layer settings in that top file. There are no shortcuts in LT, you have to have these standards established ahead of time and be diligent about applying them.

Message 5 of 6
AJM317
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the information. I guess my question still remains. Is there a command / standard that can successfully update or manipulated layers without having to open every sheet after the project has been setup with 200+ sheets? In example what if we get updated architectural plans that have new layers that are now turned on in every sheet but need to be frozen - is there a way to set standards or settings to manage this at the lower level of drawings before it arises as an issue in the sheet sets? Thanks again for the help.

Message 6 of 6
pendean
in reply to: AJM317

Re-read the first sentence of my last reply.

The question has been answered: NO, AutoCAD/LT on it's own cannot guess at your intent. You have to control it with LAYERSTATE's options on handling newly discovered layers if you want to go that route, VISRETAIN only has one function and does only one thing as always.

Look up VISRETAIN in HELP and read in more detail, perhaps a setting change may suit your needs better.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost