Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wipeout does not hide at perimeter

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
hikerman
14114 Views, 10 Replies

Wipeout does not hide at perimeter

Using LT 2009.

I am just using wipeout for first time, made some door blocks with it to hide wall the door is planted onto.

I find that the wipeout works fine for the area within the wipeout, but does not work well at the wipeout's perimeter.

I have messed with draw order, frame on/off, line weight, and am not able to get wipeout to hide correctly at it's perimeter.

In print preview it looks fine. Printing pdf with Acrobat leaves a line. Printing to HP laser prints line that is supposed to be hidden.

Any suggestions?

You can see the pdf attached. Zoom in and you will see the line. The hatch and inner lines are all hidden just fine.

GC

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: hikerman

I'm just using wipeouts recently also.

Make sure that the Wipeout is correct in draw order in your block and the Frame is OFF. When inserting into a drawing make sure Frames are OFF there also. In the target drawing the block will need to be in front in draw order. I think you can use a no-plot layer and not worry about the frame on or off but do not have enough experience with that.

Post your block, not a PDF for others to look at. I would ask if the Frame is aligned properly if it is not covering as you expect.

Message 3 of 11
hikerman
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Well, when I woke up this morning, I had a few ideas. Here is what I found.

Using a drawing set up with inches as the unit, basically for architectural. Haven't tried it otherwise yet.

1. Putting the wipeout frame on a non-printing layer (I use stb plot style) makes it not work, as in not hide, even if it is ordered on top. It will show up in model space, but have no effect in print preview, as if it does not exist.

2. When the edge of a wipeout frame is on a printing line, it seems to cover 1/2 of that line. For instance, when the printing line has a thickness of 0.18 mm I tried moving the frame past it incrementally. 1/64" still didn't cover. I had to move it 1/8" before it finally covered all of the line it was on.

3. If I made the printing line 0.00mm, the frame would cover it even with no offset. If I made the printing line 0.05mm (the next step up) then the wipeout frame would still only cover 1/2 of the line.

4. If I made the wipeout frame line fatter, like 1.0mm, and the underlying printing line that was supposed to be hidden was still 0.18mm, the wipeout frame still only covered 1/2 of the thickness of the line. So it appears that the "line" of the wipeout frame is 0.00 thickness. Or maybe more accurately, the wipeout frame goes exactly to the center of the line of it's perimeter line regardless of the thickness the layer or line is set to.

5. So in use, like in my dynamic door block that I want to wipeout a section of wall, I need to set the wipeout frame 1/8" wider than the wall it is going to cover. And my stretch handles for my wall cutting lines that are still visible need to stay on those visible lines, not the edge of the fatter wipeout frame.

dwg attached. block Dr12 is made to work correctly, the others are not fixed yet, so you can see what I mean. You can see that the insertion point and the stretch handles are overlapped by the wipeout frame, so the wipeout frame will automatically overlap the object it is planted onto by 1/8".

Also, in the block itself, you need to make sure the wipeout frame is "under" any block lines that you don't want hidden.

6. So it looks like you need to understand how wipeout works and adjust it accordingly, because it isn't really WYSIWYG. It will appear to hide a line in model space on the screen, but it will still print the line in pdf or on paper.

Message 4 of 11
hikerman

More on the wipeout not covering lines at the frame edge.

It matters what scale you print to.

If you print to a scale of 1 : 1, then a line of 0.18mm is 0.00709" thick.

But if you print to a scale of 1/8" : 1', then the line that is 0.18mm is actually representing 0.6806" in your drawing (0.00709 x 96).

So you would have to have your wipeout frame overlap by at least 1/2 of that to fully cover that line.

If you are printing 1/8" scale, then to cover a 0.18 line fully on the edge of a wipeout, then the wipeout must overlap the line by .3403"

If you print at full scale, then the overlap would need to be just .0035".

In my opinion, this wipeout tool might benefit from some tweaking on this, maybe make it take the frame line width into account. From what I see here, it will give people differing results depending on line widths and printing scale.

Or even better make it so that if the frame edge is parallel to and on the center of a line, then it can hide that line, regardless of relative line width.

Message 5 of 11
pendean

I think your demands of a simple tool like WIPEOUT and the fact that DRAWORDER and plot lineweights need to play a bigger role than you can invest in is the problem. You are asking too much of simpler tools I believe.

There is no easy fix: find a compromise you are willing to tolerate (holding the Wipeouts short or overextending them and working with draworder somehow) or upgrade to real doors in real walls as created in AutoCAD Architecture, where the wall break/repair features work OOTB. It is pricey, but dang it works.

The middle of a line moves with linewight settings of that line: spend a few minutes with Plines with Widths and you will see the concept more easily and play around with the ideas without spending too much time in your block editor.

Enjoy your quest, feel free to dive in or share more, lots of ideas around here if you want help exploring other solutions.

Message 6 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: pendean

I think it is a matter of "Why will it not print like the picture shows in help?"

Sure is bugging me...

Message 7 of 11
mark.wallner

"...The middle of a line moves with linewight settings of that line:..."

Boy, I hope you're wrong about THAT!  If not, I've messed up every drawing I've done in the last 17 years!!!

I was just trying to solve problems I have converting dwg.s with "wipeout" into PDFs (wipeout shows up solid black or hatched), and ran across this nifty alternative to wipeout on the http://cad-notes.com/2010/12/masking-with-autocad-hatch/ webpage.;

He uses a solid white hatch in place of wipeout; I never knew there WAS an actual solid white, because you can't pick it from the little-colored-boxes display.  Turns out you have to change to "True Color" and move the right-hand slider up to the top.  (D'oh!!  I used to draw on a black background, and I used solid white THEN!  I'd been wondering where it went ever since I changed to a white background...)

This is really nifty for some situations; I haven't tried it with a block yet (only found it ten minutes ago) but it seems like it should work...

Good luck and Good Health!

~Mark~

Message 8 of 11
azmand01
in reply to: mark.wallner

Boy, He is not wrong about wipeout line weight interfering with other obj lineweights.

Amazing as it is this a 2008 post and still not fixed by Autodesk.. (masks in Microstation work a lot better, how come)

What I do here.

Place my wipeouts in Paper Space, through viewport, with lineweights turned on.

I gives you a more accurate feedback of where you should really have the edges of wipeout related to other object boundaries that are not supposed to be covered.

Turning off the line weight reveals how far you are really placing edge of wipeout from edge of printing object line.

Not a solution though for a problem this old.

Message 9 of 11
ak404

I know this is an old thread, but I was just experiencing the same issue. The border of my wipeout was showing when I plotted.I'm using autocad lt 2014.  Do a help search on "wipeoutframe", you can set the wipeout frame number to 0 1 or 2. The options are something like 0 = show and plot wipeout border, 1 = do not show and do not plot wipeout border, 2 = show wipeout border but do not plot. 

Thought I'd share that for anybody who stumbles accross this thread like myself.

Joel

Message 10 of 11
Hester99
in reply to: Charles_Shade

This is the correct way. I looked thru different comments but this is the one that works. After doing WIPEOUT you have to type in the command  WIPEOUTFRAME and then set the value to 0 before you plot. Thanks

Message 11 of 11
wispoxy

Use command TFRAMES to make sure frames of everything are off. Not sure if you can accomplish this in LT.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost