Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the .dwg on server not locked after copying local .dwl to server?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
690 Views, 7 Replies

Why is the .dwg on server not locked after copying local .dwl to server?

I copy a .dwg to my remote computer and open it. Then .dwl and .dwl2 are created in same local folder as the .dwg I just opened localy. Then I copy the local .dwl and .dwl2 files back to the remote server in the same location I received the origional .dwg from. Why are those files not locked now from everybody on the network that I am remotly away from?

Thank You

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

If you want AutoCAD to lock a file at it's location, you must open the file at the same location: you can't just drag and drop DWL/2 files anywhere, that's not how the system works.

If you all need to check drawings out and in, there is a whole line of software that does nothing but that: consider an investment in the correct tools to match your needs. A popular tool these days seems to be Microsoft Sharepoint (and a Sharepoint Server). Autodesk sells one called VAULT, but I don't think it's directly compatible with LT (it requires full AutoCAD I believe for all users to work as intended). There are many others.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I explained it in simple terms but the more cmplex story is that I have a sync software setup over a vpn doing the copying whenever a file is modified. It is almost like a redundat hard drive. So if a .dwl is created on the local machine it is copied to the server, when the drawing is saved and the .dwl erased by autocad the drawing is copied back to the server and the .dwl earsed. It was quick and efficient until I found that the .dwl does not block the opening of a drawing. The only other thing I can think of is that the server has a file that all computers access teling which files are open from the server or not. The problem is how do I get my remote machine to modify that file when I open a drawing remtoley?

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
pendean

In your scenario, your VPN and Sync software needs to be the tool that locks the file: AutoCAD is not accessing your remote folder and remote files, just the local copy.

As I wrote, your solution needs to be outside of AutoCAD with a software that is designed to check-out and lock files from use by others at the source.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Are there any open source options that can lock and sync files?

Thanks

Message 6 of 8
pendean

Document Management Software is the name/type of product you want, not sure if OPENDOCMAN is still around and free, but there are others I'm sure. They all require some sort of set up, so try before you commit.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thank You for your help but that type of software is too bulky and time intensive. I guess the best option is to just move the files back and forth for now. Only if AutoDesk would add features that made it easier to work in multiple locations.

Thanks

Message 8 of 8
pendean

They do, just not for bargain-basement LT. See my other replies to your question.

If it's a critical business need, you need to be using the correct software, not the cheapest software: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=4502718

There are other options, including remote access to your office PC and working that way (pick you option, Windows Servers offer many solutions your IT can set up) and more outside of AutoCAD. basically, stop copying files to remote locations, work with them at the source. Infrastructure limitations apply, and mostly fall on you the end user.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost