Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is so much of horse power required to run a 2D software - LT 2014 ?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
PRSS
2000 Views, 4 Replies

Why is so much of horse power required to run a 2D software - LT 2014 ?

Hello all

It may be a stupid question in today's context. But let me ask.

My computers : Intel Core-i3 desktop with 4 GB RAM & GeForce GT 630 Graphics card.

These were previously running Windows XP 32 bit & AutoCAD LT 2013 & LT 2009.

They were running very fast indeed with very good performance.

When I upgraded to LT 2014 (not by subscription but by paying  huge money),

I installed Windows 7 Pro (sp-1)- 64 bit, upgrades of which I already had for all the machines.

I installed LT 2014 on these machines.My previous posting (separate post) shows my fate.

LT 2014 was too heavy for thee machines. I had done all the patches, service packs, etc.etc. as described in my earlier (separate) post.

The problem finaly got solved by disabling Aero Theme &  installing additional 4 GB RAM making it a total of 8 GB RAM. Now it is runing fine. So 4 GB was insufficint to run a 2D software. (while earlier versions of AutoCAD LT 2013, 2009 etc. were running with full speed in Win XP 32 bit with 4 GB RAM). RAM is not inexpensive here in India - we find it qite expensive for the kind of cost of living we have here.

Can anybody tell me why this is so - from technology / technical point of view. This is not a full fledged 3d program like Full Version of AutoCAD (for full version it is very well justified to have something like a HP work station with Xeon processors, Nvidia Qudro Card, etc. to make full use of AutoCAD 3D Modelling & renderig). But for only a 2D drawing software it baffles me why so much of RAM is needed.

While running LT 2014, no other applications would be running in parallel. And except for essential utilites like Adobe Reader, 7 Zip, screen hunter etc. no other software are installed on these machines. (no other background services other than Windows 7 64 bit services would be running.). Also the file sizes are something like 5 MB to 10 MB in size. Two more files would be open in the background.

Can some one throw light on this please. If this is going to be the future trend, I do not know what would happen to my affordability of  Autodesk software in the near future ( I run BDS Premium 2014 on a HP work station - but  that is a different mater).

Thanks in advance.

PRSS

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: PRSS

You are running AutoCAD. A complex and professional CAD software.
LT is AutoCAD. Don't ever forget it. Your usage of it doesn't change that reality. Abilities taken away by Autodesk don't change that reality. You are still driving a train, whether you have a mile or rail cars or just a dozen.

i3 is for casual users. i5 is for business users. i& is for Professional users.
4G Ram is for casual users. 8G is for business users. 16-32 is for professional users.

XP was a small OS. Win764 bit is a complex OS. Win8 even more so.

Win7's Aero theme (a carry over from Windows Vista) was a big mistake from Micrrosoft. They finally killed it with Win8.

If you want a light weight CAD program, try one of the freeware out there that look like AutoCAD 2000.
Message 3 of 5
PRSS
in reply to: pendean

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I posted the question based on my experience with XP 32 bit and older versions of AutoCAD.

From what you say you want me to understand that Windows 7 64 bit itself needs much greater horse power than XP 32 bit. & so Core-i3 with 4 GB RAM is for children.

If so I got kidded by 2 people - one is my own computer vendor. Second is Autodesk itself. If you looked at the minimum system requirements for LT 2014

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Syst...

it says Intel Pentium EM 64T processor & 2 GB RAM for Windows 7 64 bit.

Why not Autodesk tell the reality and give proper recommendations to its customers?

with best regards
PRSS

Message 4 of 5
pendean

Marketing 101: never scare off a potential sale.

Like everything else you buy, you the buyer must do the research. Sorry if for some reason you think software / hardware companies magically operate in alternate reality.
Message 5 of 5
PRSS

I realize that now Sir.

Best regards
PRSS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost