Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does this happen (linetype question)?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
ggunn
484 Views, 12 Replies

Why does this happen (linetype question)?

In model space I draw a line with a particular linetype, say a fence row, and I adjust the linetype scale so that it reads like I want it, but then when I go to paper space, it's just a plain line no matter what I set the linetype scaling to?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
nestly2
in reply to: ggunn

I doubt it's a "plain line" the segments are likely either too large, or too small for you to detect because the LTSCALE you applied is much greater or much less than "1".   A better solution to overriding linetype scales is to use the default settings for LTSCALE, MSLTSCALE, and PSLTSCALE and let AutoCAD automatically scale the lines according to the current scale (Scalelist). (applies to AutoCAD2008 and newer)

Message 3 of 13
ggunn
in reply to: nestly2

Thanks. I will try that, but in paper space I have entered scale factors from .001 to 1000 and it looks like a plain line at every value I have tried.

Message 4 of 13
nestly2

You may need to use REGEN to get the scaling to update.  Attach a sample drawing if you like.

Message 5 of 13
dgorsman

Paper space viewports can have annotation scales which differ from their scale factor.  Also make sure the definition of the linetype is suitable for your drawing units - ACAD.LIN for inch-size (A/B/C/D) drawings, ACADISO.LIN for millimeter-size drawings (A4/A3/A2/A1).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 13
pendean

LIST command will tell you what your linetype is: don't rely on your visual cues, there are about a dozen things that could be set wrong in your file to mask it.

So... LIST command and confirm, then answer what settings in your files are the following variables:
LTSCALE
PSLTSCALE
MSLTSCALE
CANNOSCALE (in modelspace)
CANNOSCALE (inside your viewport)
CELTSCALE

and does REGENALL command fix the problem you currently have?
Message 7 of 13
Charles_Shade

Thanks to Bob_Zurunkle:

Are you on 2008 or newer? If so, you start in Modelspace with CANNOSCALE set to the overall scale you use the most or what you will plot to in that drawing.
Next, remove all linetype scale overrides and set LTSCALE, MSLTSCALE, PSLTSCALE & CELTSCALE all to 1.
Next, test out the different linetypes in modelspace to see if certain ones work for you for most cases. AutoCAD ships with 3 variations of most linetypes. This will probably not work for the batting linetype, but will be a good drawing practice that once you get it set, you may want to create a template from it. Also, it may not appear to work in your current drawing -- you may want to try a regen, and if that doesn't work, you may want to start with your clean template, do all of the above steps, and then COPYBASE the contents of the existing drawing into the new one.

Now, in modelspace you can adjust the linetype scaling of the batting linetype to fit within your wall. It may be a different scale from one wall width to the next though. If the other factors are all set as noted above, then what you see in modelspace should be what you see in any viewport in paperspace.

Before 2008, you would override the linetype scale in modelspace first, then apply a global adjustment by the inverse of the viewport scale, but this only applies to one viewport scale (so other viewports with different scales won't show the linetype the same). By changing PSLTSCALE to 1, you are saying you want paperspace to detect it's scale and adjust how the linetype is viewed accordingly, making it view the same in all viewports no matter what their scale. When you use this, you set LTSCALE to 1 (this is the global linetype you are setting).

So it is still best to start with everything set to 1, and test out your linetypes in modelspace to see what looks best to you. If you are on 2008 or newer, then adjust your CANNOSCALE on typical linetypes like hidden, center, phantom etc and pick one of the 3 of each that works best. This is to avoid overriding the linetype scale. But on 2007 or older, you have to find which scale override works best for you, and then set your CELTSCALE to that scale. After either of these that fits your case, then draw a batting line and adjust it's scale to suit you, using the override.

I hope I haven't been too confusing lol...

Message 8 of 13
ggunn

Never mind. I reset the values to the default and now I see the linetype features in paper space. I don't see them in model space now, but that's not important.

Message 9 of 13
nestly2

@ggunn wrote:

Never mind. I reset the values to the default and now I see the linetype features in paper space. I don't see them in model space now, but that's not important.

Assuming MSLTSCALE is "1" as described above, the lines should display the same relative to other objects in Modelspace at they do in Paperspace/Layouts.  Use the scalelist in ModelSpace  tab the same way it's used in the Layout tabs.  (REGEN required to update the display)

Message 10 of 13
ggunn
in reply to: nestly2

MSLTSCALE was zero; I set it to 1. It didn't make any difference to what I am seeing. Where is this "scalelist in ModelSpace tab"? I don't see it in the right click menus.

Message 11 of 13
nestly2

If using 2008 or newer....

cannoscale.gif

Message 12 of 13
pendean

Answering questions may help others help you, but if you are happy with your workaround then it is fine with us too.

If you want a fix, the questions I asked are here. If you did not understand, ask, if you don't know where these commands are simply type each and read what AutoCAD has set:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-LT/Why-does-this-happen-linetype-question/m-p/4429793#M116664
Message 13 of 13
Bob_Zurunkle

OP a lot of folks forget about the first thing, which should be to check and set your CANOSCALE in modelspace. If all of the other factors previously listed are set to 1, then you should be able to draw a sample linetype (eg Hidden2) in modelspace and see the dashes just fine. They should match what you'd see in a viewport in paperspace, if the viewport scale matches the modelspace CANNOSCALE setting. There should be no linetype scale overrides unless absolutely necessary.

If your CANNOSCALE is the default 1:1, then modelspace has adjusted the linetype as if a paperspace viewport is at 1:1. It is very tiny, so if you zoom in I htink you'll see it is there.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost