Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does single line text exist

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
modeleader
1405 Views, 13 Replies

Why does single line text exist

Can't multiline do everything that single line does?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
hwalker
in reply to: modeleader

I find single line text can be very helpful

eg. you have two lines of single line text that you want to change to be the same. Just select both of them, go to properties and change the text there and they both change.

However to do that with multine text. You select both of them, BUT you have to edit each one individually. There is no way to do it like single line text.

Also with single line text you can just click on the drawing and start typing, with multiline text you have to set up the box before you even get to the typing.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 14
modeleader
in reply to: hwalker

Okay, that makes some sense.  

We use Excel for all our schedules.  It seems to work pretty well and it has formulas (if needed) and formatting is usually quicker and easier than drawing the whole table.  The OLE function doesn't seem to work still, but it can be pasted into paperspace very simply and looks nice too and you can edit it right in the drawing by double clicking.  Not sure why it doesn't just go this way.

We often run into old drawings where people have misused single line text for all sorts of things like a list of notes or even 2 lines of text.  This makes it very difficult to edit later.

Thanks for the response.

Message 4 of 14
modeleader

Seems like they could add that functionality to multiline, but I guess they would've if it were possible.

Message 5 of 14
hwalker

Autocad has a built in table function and you can use formulas in that as well.

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 6 of 14
dgorsman

From the other direction: multi-line text does things that single line text cannot, such as overriding text font and size.  Single line text only has a single text style with very limited formatting options which can be a good thing with users that think they know better (but don't bother confirming it).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 14
sthompson1021

My favorite feature of single line text is being able to pick the rotation before I enter the text. Something that I wish I could do with multi-line text.

Message 8 of 14
modeleader

Do you find the table feature useful?

Message 9 of 14
hwalker

I don't use it a lot in my line of drawing work, but when I do, I do find it useful.

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 10 of 14
modeleader

Okay, because I have not found it to be more restrictive than useful.  Good to know someone thinks differently.  Maybe I need to take a class to learn how to use it.

By the way, I am also left handed lol.

Message 11 of 14
steve216586

I haven't used single line text since 2004. It is too much of a hassel to edit when you need to fit extra comments in a restrictive area. I start the Qleader command with my text length always set to 0, and then delete the leader. I can move, rotate, and edit in the text editor box. Fomatting/editing/bulleting multiline text anyway you want is too easy in the text edit dialog box. Plus you can always use multiline text in the exact same way as single line text but not so in reverse.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 12 of 14
hwalker
in reply to: steve216586

You can sort of use single line text as multiline text. Just press return when you want a new line. You may need to group them together so they all move at the same time.

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 13 of 14
modeleader

That is exactly what my frustration is.  Drawings with multiple lines of single line text grouped together.  This is very difficult to edit.  When i find this, many times, i will cut and paste text out and into a multiline.

If you want a bunch of multiline texts to match by editing them all at once, you can paste them as a block and copy them where you want, then when you want to change it, just edit the block.

I can see that is still not the same as selecting as many single lines as you want and then changing the text in the properties once for all selected, so I will concede that there is a use for single line as long as there someone who likes the table function in autocad.  Personally I have not enjoyed it, but I know my way is not the only way, but i do hope that single line will be used sparingly.  It's uses are very limited I believe.  That doesn't mean I think it should be eliminated because there is a use, again just very limited.

Message 14 of 14
hwalker

Have you got your table set up correctly in Autocad? The Autocad tables act exactly like multiline text

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost