Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When opening a drawing, AutoCAD automatically creates a new drawing

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
architec-tor
3573 Views, 9 Replies

When opening a drawing, AutoCAD automatically creates a new drawing

When I open an drawing, AutoCAD opens *two* drawings, the one I wanted *plus* a new one (called drawing 1.)

Why does this happen and can it be prevented?

Thank you!

AutoCAD LT 2010

Windows 7

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Are you clicking on a drawing file and having AutoCAD Start from the drawing calling for CAD to open?

Or are you Starting AutoCAD and then opening a drawing and having this happen?

The former could be normal behavior.

The latter is a little funky.

Message 3 of 10

I click directly on an existing drawing file (plan.dwg for example) -- NOT opening up AutoCAD prior top selecting a drawing..

When I click on this drawing a *new* drawing is automatically created first called "drawing1.dwg". After this new drawing is created then my target drawing opens next. 

Opening up 4 separate drawings will result in 4 new drawings I have to delete. 

Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 10

That is normal behavior.

You need to read up on STARTUP 

Also:

OPTIONS, Files tab, Template Settings, Drawing Template File Location: Remove the entry here if it points to a file.

Message 5 of 10

I managed to chang the settings to avoid a new drawing from being created, but a separate version of AutoCAD is opening up anyway *without* a drawing (as well as the target drawing I do want opened.) 

Is there a way to avoid having AutoCAD open up twice for each time I want to open a single drawing?

Thanks

Message 6 of 10

Message 7 of 10
pendean
in reply to: architec-tor

What "settings" did you change exactly? That's probably the answer you seek.

Message 8 of 10
fkellogg
in reply to: architec-tor

@architec-tor; Greetings from the future!
Here I am, in 2022, and recently upgraded to v 2022, and a new PC.
Plus I had to perform the dreaded "Reset to Default" thing, due to other issues.

I also had the annoying "Drawing1" thing, and felt there was a way to fix that.

The Options>Template File> thing suggested by @Charles_Shade worked for me.

Nanoo Nanoo!

Message 9 of 10
MarkY4FED
in reply to: pendean

I am having this same problem and have tried all of the solutions I can find for it. My startup system variable is set to 3, and I still have a drawing 1 open every time I open the program. It doesn't matter if I open it through the program shortcut or by opening a specific drawing. Do you have any suggestions?

Message 10 of 10
pendean
in reply to: MarkY4FED

@MarkY4FED If you get no other ideas from anyone else around here this week then try this https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-r...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost